We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

Looking to book our honeymoon in Jan or Feb. We are considering Hawaii (Kuai & Maui), Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen. Have been to Playa a few times and loved it. We enjoy staying at a nice resort, great meals, relaxing, and also being able to have dining & entertainment options. Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k582348…

Another current, very similar thread. You'll find it helpful.

And the whales really put on a show on Maui in January.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

You are a prime candidate for Mexico. Enjoy. You will like it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

How about you share a bit more - like how many days do you have for your honeymoon? What is your budget? Any special activities or things you want to see and do? I think a honeymoon should be special - somewhere you haven't been before. And since you live in Chicago, you can much easier get to the Caribbean & Mexico for future vacations, so I would say to come to Hawaii! :)

chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

Coalminer,

We are looking at anywhere from a week to ten nights. As far as a budget goes, maybe a limit of $7,000....and we have plenty of miles to use for airfare if needed. We don't really have any "special" things we want to do...just want to relax and enjoy a nice resort.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

gda, please forgive. I don't you've done much homework have you?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

In your first post, you mentioned Kauai, but I think that would be too quiet for you if you want nightlife of any kind. I would pick Oahu and Maui. You don't have to rent a car for Oahu, but you would need one for Maui. No AI resorts on the islands - so you would have to choose a hotel. Maybe if you could share a nightly budget, that would be helpful to people in making recommendations. :)

Also, check out www.gohawaii.com - great photos and explanations of each island.

chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not clarifying, but our limit for a non AI would be no more than $500 per night for hotel.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

You may want to post those specifics on the island forums you wish to visit - that would probably give you the best help - the more details you can provide, the better. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

We used to visit the Caribbean islands and take cruises there on winter breaks until we 'discovered' Hawaii. Now we fly farther, at greater expense, to vacation in the State that is also a tropical paradise. (Aruba is a dessert. Mexican resorts are in 'compounds' surrounded by poverty.) We have enjoyed Poipu on Kauai, Waikiki on Oahu, the Kohala region on Big Island of Hawaii. Now we are retired and spend Jan. - Feb. in South Maui.

I think you'd have a memorable honeymoon on Maui. (Winter is not the best season for Kauai.) However, if you are not interested in sightseeing and just want to stay within the grounds of a resort hotel, it could be *anywhere* -- doesn't have to be Hawaii.

You are running out of time to book a hotel and rental car for a very busy season in Hawaii. If you want to use points for your air, check to see what's available. We fly ORD-HNL nonstop on a widebody plane and hop to OGG (Maui) without leaving airport security. Same on return. Through-check your baggage. We buy coach and use miles to upgrade to first. I can sleep on those redeye returns. (Avoid 757's and west coast connections.)

Although many Chicagoans seem to think Kaanapali is Maui, in winter I would prefer Wailea. Look at the Four Seasons, Fairmont, possibly Grand Wailea, the Marriott. Makena Beach Resort is older, but smaller and on a wonderful swimming and snorkeling beach.

Edited: 11 October 2012, 16:49
10. Re: Winter Honeymoon in Hawaii, Aruba, or Playa Del Carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:18