We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

I need some help from someone currently on Oahu and also someone on the Big Island who is using an iPhone or iPad with iOS 6: Can you check out and see if the new Apple-based Map app (as opposed to the Google-based Maps in earlier iOS versions) works accurately in those areas?

I know the new Maps with iOS 6 can be problematic in some areas--and it's great in others. I'm not sure how it does in Hawai'i and, if it's not good, I'll wait to upgrade to iOS 6 until *after* our trip in November.

Specifically, are the maps reflective of how the roads really are and are the directions (as in "find me nearby restaurants") accurate and true?

Mahalo!

California
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

Google maps still works on iOS6, It's just not preloaded as an application. Just go to the Goggle maps web page in Safari and save it as a favorite to your home screen.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

Thanks, Clint--I was aware of the Safari-based Google maps as an option. I was just wondering what the accuracy was for the Apple Maps on the two islands. I was hoping someone was running iOS 6 there and could look at a few areas and compare reality with the map.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

I have an IPad with iOS6 but don't have the Apple map app!! I'll try it out, when is the latest you need to know?

ps, did a quick search and couldn't find the app!!

Edited: 26 October 2012, 19:43
Paradise, California
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

Thanks, msfuzz. It's just the little icon labeled "Maps"--it comes with the iOS automatically, I believe.

No hurry/worry. I've a week or so before I need to "finalize" the electronics for packing!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

You are right. I'm techno challenged buy saw the icon on the IPad a short,while ago. Anyway, the maps are ok, have the main streets but Google Maps are better. Useable if you are looking for the main drags!! It just has all the fast food restaurants on it no others.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

Mahalo nui loa, msfuzz! That gives me the info I was looking for. Fast food restaurants only, hmmm...unless it's Zippy's I'm probably not interested!

7. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:05
8. Re: iOS 6 and Apple's Maps app--accurate on Oahu & Big Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:15