We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island Next?

Glendale...
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island Next?

We've just came from a 4 night 5 days stay at Waikiki and were planning our next Vacation to the island next year around this time as well, Any recommendations for our next island tour? I will be traveling with my wife and daughter who will be turning 10 by that time and another one on the way, So by the time we travel, the baby will be around 5 or 6 months (my wife is due May 2013. Were thinking of Maui, but some says Big Island is nice too). I was thinking of Kauai as well. Probably another 4-5 nights holiday. Any response/s are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island Next?

If you only have 4-5 days, I would stick with a smaller island like Kauai or Maui - save the Big Island for when you have about 10 days. For any of these islands, you will need a car rental and I would advise trying to go for a week - you get better deals on car and condo rentals when staying a full week - might pay for itself, if you know what I mean. Condos generally work very well for families. Happy planning! :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island Next?

What do you like to do? What about Waikiki did you like or dislike? What time of year? Do you want direct flights since you'll have the little one with you? There is no place that compares to Waikiki on Maui and certainly not Kauai so your other islands will definitely be a different experience. You'll get loads of advice here and the more you can tell us the better we can target the replies

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island Next?

I read that you thought Waikiki and Oahu were expensive, just know that Maui and Kauai will even be more expensive than that. As you did on Oahu, condo's on Maui is where you will save money. You will have to rent a car on either as the public transportation isn't anywhere as good as Oahu. Most places on Maui have free parking for beaches and restaurants. Most condo's don't charge for parking but most hotels do.

Glendale...
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island Next?

Thanks a lot

Glendale...
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island Next?

Thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island Next?

Depending on what you are looking for and when you are going, I am a budget traveler and have found deals on my lodging on each island . . . usually under a $100 a night. If you book your car far ahead, you will save a boatload as well. :)

Edited: 30 October 2012, 20:06
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,380 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island Next?

Kaua`i - or any of the other islands - doesn't have to be expensive. Don't stay in pricey destination resorts; do a condo. Don't eat in high-priced restaurants; go where the residents go. Fix breakfast at the condo and have cocktails on your lanai before going out to dinner. Skip pricey tourist activities; the best things on Kaua`i are free.

8. Re: Which Island Next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 10:18