We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
safer islands for next time to Hawaii

just returned from Oahu. was great time , enjoyed the quite beaches i could find

did not like or realize how much crime is in honolulu and waikiki

i like to visit Hawaii again

but different islands

what other islands are more safer at night and have no gangs to worry about? and less traffic?

more less looking for one with easy driving and little traffic and no gangs

thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

I'm amazed at your post. I've never experienced problems in Waikiki. Indeed, I've always felt quite safe there at almost any hour. Never seen any gangs. Perhaps you could provide more specifics?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Aloha,

Waikiki and Honolulu are safe destinations for visitors.

Maybe being more specific would help

Maybe you traveled the wrong road

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297884-i12477-k58…

Aloha

Edited: 05 November 2012, 09:06
Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
434 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Where are these "gangs" you speak of ? Where did you learn about all this crime ? Sorry but this sounds like a prelude to a Hawaii 50 episode. No disrespect .

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Per the linked survey, Honolulu is average (compared to the national rate) as far as Violent Crime is concerned/above average with reference to Property Crime.

Just bouncing around the Islands, statistically safer (and great places to unwind) towns include: Hana (Maui), Hanalei (Kauai), Hawi (Big Island...the much maligned, and personal favorite, Pahoa ranks somewhat better than better known/more popular alternatives),

www.bestplaces.net/crime/…

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

"what other islands are more safer at night and have no gangs to worry about? and less traffic?"

That is easy. Lanai with 3000 residents has no gangs. Followed closely by Molokai. Neither island has any traffic lights because they have very little traffic.

BTW, we have never had any problems on Oahu.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

For it's size, Honolulu is one of the safest cities in the US. Not sure where you are coming from but sure would like to know. Honolulu is a large metropolitan city. The only one in the state. You will find less people, traffic and therefore less crime on any of the other islands.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

WOW! I would also like a bit more info on why you perceive there is so much crime in Honolulu/Waikiki.

I spent 2 weeks there, in the past, with my 83 y.o. grandmother, feeling totally safe the whole time and just spent a few days by myself (in April), again feeling totally safe the whole time.

Gangs? Really? Where were you hanging out?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Like other posters here I've also heard Honolulu is one of the safest cities in the US.

I'm pretty sure Macleans Magazine once ranked Thunder Bay to be Ontario's most dangerous city. It probably ranks higher then Honolulu.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,584 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Well, even with statistics, some people just aren't comfortable in cities - perhaps it is a perception thing. I felt fine walking around Waikiki and while seeing homeless folks is a bit unsettling, I never felt unsafe.

I think you would be fine on an of the more rural islands - just less people, less traffic and all that. :)

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safer islands for next time to Hawaii

Wow, OP traveled all over the world, was not worried about Kkangpae in Busan, Triads in HK or Yakuza in Japan, but is worried about gangs on Oahu?

I can understand the wish for visiting another HI island with less traffic. But gangs? High crime rates? Just wondering where OP stayed or frequent at night that he saw all those crimes and gangs. Maybe OP can come back and let us know where and what he saw so we could avoid those areas.