We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now what do I do?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Topic
Now what do I do?

I started my Hawaii planning with you guys a few days ago, have been taking lots of notes and am so excited, and now my husband says " what about Jamaica, lets do an all inclusive there?

I searched Jamaica versus Hawaii but the responses are from 2006. Oh man.....

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now what do I do?

Easy, tell him no dice, you've already started planning! : )

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now what do I do?

WOW! That's apples and oranges! You're from Calgary ... "stick to your guns!"

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now what do I do?

Jamaica you are stuck at your resort..unsafe to travel around. Hawaii you can drive wherever you are and be safe as long as you use the same common sense you would use anywhere. Which type of vacation do you want? Sometimes it is fun to be pampered at a resort and not do anything, but sometimes you may want more.

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now what do I do?

OMG. Jamaica? Seriously? Gross.

Boston
Level Contributor
272 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now what do I do?

You can travel around Jamaica (they just tell you that to keep you at resorts and spending money within resorts) BUT really...there is NO comparison!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now what do I do?

If your trip is during hurricane season in the Caribbean (May-Sept is it??) then your answer is easy. Hawaii! If not, I guess it's the experience vs money. Hawaii is a "choose your own adventure" whereas millions of other people have done the exact same thing as each other in Jamaica. You can overall get more for your money in Jamaica, and some people just appreciate the simplicity of an all inclusive over a trip you actually have to plan out more. That all said... Hawaii.

arkansas
Level Contributor
474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now what do I do?

If you have never been to either, then it certainly looks like an all-inclusive Jamaican vacation has a distinct advantage: beautiful beach, crystal water, all the food and cocktails already budgeted, etc.

What you can't see in the pictures is how Hawaii "feels".

Low dew points are the key to the Hawaiian comfort levels and it is amazing how pleasant Hawaiiian weather "feels"; but the palm trees, plumeria, orchids and scenery continually remind you that this is very tropical.

Hawaii in a part of the US and it is surprises some people how safe Hawaii "feels". Beach walks at night, or finding that remote place seem equally inviting.

The residents exhibit an ample dose of 'aloha' and most visitors will attest to how welcome the Hawaiians make us "feel".

And you can tell by just surfing this forum that taking a trip to Hawaii actually makes you "feel" like you had a true vacation, and I "feel" like I can't wait to get back!

8. Re: Now what do I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:15