We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Well, the ukelele that we bought on our last Hawaiian sojourn last easter was a huge success with the wife. So much that she is using it at all her gigs and joined the Newcastle Ukestra. The Ukestra has received the official invitation to the 2013 Waikiki Ukelele festival and Jen' put her name down to go. I'll be her official roadie/groupie/cheerleader/booking agent for the event, so I get to come too! WooHoo!

Okay, here's the $30,000,000 question (that's the lotto draw tonight). Where to stay this time? There's the two of us going for about a week, so we'll only need simpler accommodation.

Still leaning towards a 1br condo at the Waikiki Shore, but maybe the Beachcomber might factor in. We were really spoiled last time in Harry's Condo, so it's a hard choice. Any ideas? Where do all the struggling (sore knees, back, ulcers) artists' crews stay??

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

It will be fun to read about your adventures. I'm glad you are leaving the friends/relatives at home this time! Where is the festival held in Waikiki? That would influence my decision on where to stay.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,406 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Hey, Harley, I've read about the ukulele festival and have never gone but in this case I just may show up. I believe it's held in Kapiolani Park, right? Don't have a recommendation for you but I'm sure you will find a place that is just right for you. Aloha!!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Yep, down in Kapiolani Park. I might be able to grab a temp job in the zoo and roll out a sleeping bag, haha.

http://www.ukulelefestivalhawaii.org/en/

Barbara, staying close to the festival site is not a major priority. It's the "official" reason for the visit, but I'm sure I'd return for any reason. "Left the toilet seat up in the condo", "Rum & ahi poke sales are down", "need ukelele strings", "my body's going pale", are others I'll also try in future.

When the director of the Newcastle Ukelele Orchestra made the announcement asking for people interested in attending the festival, for a couple of weeks Je was the only confirmed attendee (apart from the husband/wife directors}. "Hey, we'll have a great time. We harmonise well." said the director. Since then, I believe there's been a few more announcing their intention to go. It's a very informal group going, with the only requirement being to meet for rehearsal and the performance, so we'll be mainly staying/travelling just as a couple and I'll like it that way.

In all our visits to Hawaii, we've always gone as a group. in 2007 & 2010, we were planning to go as a couple only, but circumstances changed. We still enjoyed the trips, but we are really looking forward to some quality Hawaiian time for just the two of us.

Now the fun begins. Checking flights for specials, number crunching room deals, etc.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Hmmm ... are you sure they will let you back in? Waive your credit card and enjoy!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Yeah! Finally a trip for just you two! Hawaii awaits Harley and Jen's grand return...and we humbly await your TRs!!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Well, airfares are locked in. OUCH! There were no sale fares worth mentioning on offer and we had to shuffle our dates for in-out flights to get some exit row seats. Most flights around this time had the extra legroom seats already booked and there's no way we could afford business class. At $49pp each way, they're worth every cent to a 5'11" 235lb bloke. Hawaiian were going to cost over $3000 for the pair of us for basic cattle class. Yep, they offer "meals" but we are talking airline meals. Ended up back on Jetstar again for $1100pp. I can never remember paying over $1000pp for airfares to/from Hawaii. As usual, all the recent airfare sales were either side of our required flight dates. The bonus? We're now staying for 10 days instead of the original 7 days. It'll be a tough job, but we're up to it :-)

Had a snoop at accommodation as well. WOW! Hawaii IS recovering from the GFC! Thought I'd look at the Waikiki Circle and see what an oceanfront room was worth. Last time I looked, they were about $145 for an E-special. Well, THE best price oceanfront at the Circle is now $284! "City View" (read multi-level horrible car park view) is $189. Did they knock the walls out and double the space or something? I thought they'd priced themselves right off the map, until I started to check out other hotels. Prices are spooky.

Well, back to VRBO and we can get a really nice 1br condo with Fort Derussy Park views at Waikiki Shore for under $200/nite, so that looks like the go. We were really spoilt last time in Harry's condo, but the cost is too high for us as a couple. That's a lot of tune-ups & lubes to do! We'd seen the outlook from the 1br condo before, as one of our friends booked it last time. Very nice.

Sure, I could get something for less a couple of blocks back, but It'd be nice to be able to say that we "Lapped it up and loved it", not "We sucked it up and got over it".

Now we'll have to check out the exchange rate scene. We did have about $1000 in greenbacks left over from our last trip, but we lost those to a sneaky thief just last month. Well, the perp actually got $999, as I had a $1 note stuck in the cash drawer at work as one of the workers wanted to see one. Insured? sure. They only covered up to $500 cash and then there was the $250 claim excess, so they finally payed out $250. That hurt. That was going to be our fun money this time. Just ONE time I'd like to catch one of these thieves and have a personal discussion. Grrr. Hang on, put my smile back on. We ARE going to Hawaii. WooHoo! :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,406 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Yes, our economy has really bounced back and things are going great!! You are coming in the middle of the busiest season, thus the reason for the high prices!!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Yes, I always manage to do my bit to support your local economy. Is there a low season in Hawaii? We've stayed around Easer - high time. We've stayed in November - high time. We're staying in July - high time, haha! Seriously, I'd rather spend time in somewhere I'm enjoying than somewhere because it's just cheap.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Well, settled on a nice 1br condo at the Waikiki Shore for under $185/night inclusive of all taxes, cleaning and a carpark space underneath. The view is of Fort Derussy Park, which is a damn nice view in itself, but loads better than a $250/night room at the Reef next door, looking at the Waikiki Shore walways. Happy with that.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,743 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hide the rum, we're coming back...

Aloha,

Harley, what WONDERFUL news!!! Yippee!!! Happy planning, sounds like you are already getting all in line.