We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in late September/early October

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in late September/early October

Planning a 2 week trip for 2 (big bd and anniv) in late Sept. Have been to Oahu and Maui. Would like to go to Kauai and the big island and possibly back to Maui, but that seems a bit much. I have been to the big island before, but it was over 30 years ago, so that does not count. My husband has not been to the big island before and neither of us has ever been to Kauai. We have some Marriott miles saved up-probably enough for a week. Any advice on how to plan this vacation/where to go/what to do/where to stay? Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Congrats on your special trip! I love both Kauai and the Big Island and you could do an equal split, but the Big Island really requires more time to explore. Not sure about the Marriot properties - you may want to post on each specific island forum to learn about those properties - where they are located and if that is what you are looking for.

September is still nice for the northshore of Kauai, which I think is one of the most stunningly beautiful places on the planet - I would consider staying there.

What else do you enjoy doing while in Hawaii? If you could share a bit more, we can try to help. Happy planning! :)

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Hi, I own a timeshare at the Kauai Marriott in Lihue and it is a very nice property with several good restaurants onsite (eat at Duke's at least once, Kukui's to me is overpriced) and more within a short walking distance, as well as an ABC Store. The pool is very pretty, huge, and with 5 jacuzzis with waterfalls, nice beach as well with a strip of grass between the walkway along the hotel and the sand. They will deliver drinks and food to the beach as long as you are in the loungers on the grass area and not in the sand.

There is also a Marriott in Poipu but it is almost all timeshares and tough to get into, as well as a Courtyard by Marriott on the east shore.

Sorry cannot help with BI, been too long since I have been there. Enjoy!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in late September/early October

With two weeks, I'd look at about a 8/6 split between the Big Island and Kauai. 7 nights is really a minimum for the BI, and you should split that approximately 5/2 between the west and east sides, flying into Kona and out of Hilo or vice versa. Choose one base on the west and one on that east. That time of year particularly Id choose the Kohala coast on the west which will have excellent ocean conditions and some breeze to counter the very hot weather, and Volcano on the east which will be pleasant that time of year and is a good base to explore VNP.

I wouldn't use your Marriott points on the BI, neither property is that great; the Courtyard Marriott is in less desireable Kailua Kona with no beaches to speak of, and hot with little breeze that time of year. The Marriott Waikoloa has little rooms and a mediocre beach.

Make sure your BI dates don't coincide with Ironman Kona (October 12), which causes prices to rise, limits rental cars and interisland flights, and increases crowds. Things start to get busy about a week before, so I'd plan to have left the BI by October 5.

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in late September/early October

We really liked Maui when we were there several years ago, so we feel kind of torn. We are not super adventurous, but we were thinking about a helicopter trip and we love the beach and easy walks and good food and nature. We are middle aged, but young at heart. :) How easy is it to do an island hop ? Thank you.

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in late September/early October

And volcanoes.

Our travel dates are approximately 9/20 to 10/4.

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Change of plans! We have Delta frequent flyer miles and it is easiest to go to Maui. Would like to stay there a week and in Kuaui a week. Does that sound good ? Hotel suggestions? ( one Marriott, but the other does not have to be). Restaurant and activity suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Since you have chosen your islands, you will probably want to go to each islands forum to ask your specific questions. Start by reading the top questions on the top right of the Maui forum and the Kauai forum. Also read down through each of the islands forums and do a search as far as places to eat and things to do. Type in search terms like "must dos" or "top ten" and you will see a ton of threads on the subject.

Both Maui and Kauai have nice Marriots, so I would ask that question on each of the specific islands forums.

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Thank you all so much!

Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel in late September/early October

My choice for Kauai, is Poipu. You will have sunshine, beautiful beaches, and great restaurants. Here is a link for an adorable bungalow at Baby Beach.

http://babybeachbungalow2.com

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel in late September/early October

Wow, Palmtreepam, that is gorgeous. Some people are pushing North shore over South, but no one is really telling me why. I have read a bit and I guess it just depends. Thanks for the link.