We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

Update. Booked Alaska, based on cost ($94 pp less than HA) and the fact that tix are fully refundable. Just 3 weeks util the flight, considering again switching to HA, for the bigger plane and, according to some reports, better service. AS would be non-stop. HA would require changing planes at HNL (maybe get a view of Diamond Head, but wouldn't count on it). Any firsthand experiences with fc in either?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

p.s. wife asked if the AS 737 or HA 767 would be older. I was guessing the 737 but don't really know.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

Back in the day (when upgrades were cheaper) I flew FC on Hawaiian from PDX quite often. Have done it once on Alaska to Maui. Service was great on both. I like the Alaska seats better....but nothing compared to FC in Hawaiian's old DC 10's.

Free movie on HA and free digiplayer on Alaska. Alaska uses the "new generation" 737-800 for its flights to Hawaii. Nice plane.

For me the non-stop flight would be the deciding factor. Anything to avoid changing planes, IMO.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

Thanks. I have to admit one consideration is possibly feeling less turbulence in the bigger plane on HA. But I may feel something, or nothing, on either one.

California
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

Nothing at all wrong with Hawaiian but I would just stick with Alaska even though they have smaller 737's than the Hawaiian fleet. I've been using Alaska for the last few years to Hawaii (going again next week) and have always had a good flight. Just having to change planes in HNL is reason enough to stick with Alaska, I would rather spend an extra hour or so of flight time then having to change planes in HNL.

5. Re: KOA to PDX first class: switch from Alaska Air to Hawaiian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 05:19