We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

My family is going to Kauai for dates June 19-30. We have our accomodations and time off of work. I know this is peak season for families travelling due to school schedule and we cannot avoid it as both kids are in school and one parent is a teacher but I am astounded at the airfares. I keep balking at buying plane tickets and my qurestion is this: Am I insane to think they might drop or is everyday I don't purchase tickets just spending more in the end? Help!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

Hard call! Are you planning to book on Alaska Air? Last I looked they had an air fare guarantee. I think you get credit for a future flight if the price goes down after you book. Alaska has the only non-stop from PDX to Kauai, but it is only certain days of the week.

When I am locked into a specific time frame I usually buy my airline tickets right away. Alas, sometimes they do go down later. But not always. I would rather pay a bit more than endure the stress of worrying about it.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

I see fares for $645 from Portland to LIH on Delta. Doesn't seem so bad to me. If you can fly into HNL and island hop from there, tickets flying into HNL are cheaper -$528 from BLI, $545 from SEA and $572 from PDX - but you'll pay $150 per person to go round trip from HNL to LIH. You won't save any money that way. I'd take the $645.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 16:18
LA
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

Not likely to drop.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

Barbara, that non stop only runs for certain months and I think it is discontinued after March. I know this because we had planned on going to Kauai in April but found out the non-stop is only available for part of the year.

$645 could be the best you can get. That is about what I paid for my trip in March.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

Aloha,

I flew PDX-LIH on Hawaiian last September and the fares ran at about $700/rt for several months before without dropping. We waited to the point that the layover in HNL got a little longer because the earlier flights filled.

Have you considered getting the Alaska Airlines or Hawaiian Airlines credit card to take advantage of the companion deals?

\nnn/

6. Re: Airfares from Oregon to Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:16