We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki hotels in July

Bridgewater NJ
5 posts
Save Topic
Waikiki hotels in July

Need some suggestions on selecting a hotel in waikiki. Going early July for one week. Looking at Moana Surfrider, and love it but not the price. Special trip for teenage daughter, so want to wake up and be able to have breakfast on beach, go back and forth between beach and room, walk to restaurants and shops. Any suggestions on how to get better price, or specials. Or another hotel on beach that is more reasonable? I appreciate any and all help.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki hotels in July

Waikiki is a strip about 3-4 blocks wide and 2 miles long.

The beach runs the entire 2 miles except for a couple of short areas.

There are restaurants & shops throughout Waikiki.

So no location is really much better than any other unless you are right on the beach or right across the road from the beach where there are no hotels on the beach side of the road.

For the most part, the hotels on the beach are the most expensive. Those across the street from the beach are a little less expensive.

The farther you get from the beach, the less expensive the hotel/condo will be.

You also have to consider parking and/or resort fees. Again, the closer you are to the beach, the higher the resort fee and/or parking fees are generally higher.

I would rather stay in a less expensive hotel & be able to rent a car the entire time & get out & explore Oahu. I absolutely would not get a more expensive hotel & try to take public transportation to explore the island.

You can walk 5 minutes to a decent restaurant for breakfast from anywhere in Waikiki.

Go to the Oahu forum.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page on the Oahu forum.

Use the search on the Oahu forum: trip report

Read about 15-20 trip reports. The trip reports will give you a better idea of what others do on Oahu.

Waikiki hotels & some condos:

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Also look at VRBO. Many less expensive condos by owners. Many include free parking.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…waikiki

Use these maps in conjunction with VRBO:

hicondos.com/neighborhoods-CondosHawaiiRealE…

Order the free Oahu travel planner:

1-80-GOHAWAII

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki hotels in July

We need your nightly accomodations budget. Understand that you are visiting during HIGH season.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki hotels in July

I do strongly recommend the Moana Surfrider-however, only you know what you can afford.

You could join the Starwood Preferred Guest program, it is free, they do have some special rates for members. Also, look at the AAA rates.

Good luck!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki hotels in July

Truly, you should re-post on the Island of Oahu Forum. You are on the generic State of Hawaii Forum.

5. Re: Waikiki hotels in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:15