We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

getuptogetdown
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

Hello,

Does anyone have recommendations for which island (Maui or Kauai) to horseback ride? I will be there in September for my honeymoon. My fiancee has ridden her entire life, but I am somewhat nervous on a horse, so looking for a happy medium. Mostly just looking for advice on what island people prefer to horseback ride. We are doing a lot of activities on Kauai (horseback riding, Luau, etc) so would like to do more on Maui. We are going to do an overnight trip to Hana, and do a lot of snorkeling, so were also wondering about the horseback riding!

Thanks!

Los Olivos...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

Check out Happy Trails Hawaii:

www.rideeta.com/2013/01/happy-trails-hawaii/

They come highly recommended.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

The one mentioned above is on Oahu, which doesn't help the poster. I did CJM in Poipu, Kauai and saw very beautiful scenery. Princeville ranch is supposed to be good as well, but I have never done it. It is all walking nose to tail...there was another place on Kauai that is for more experienced riders, but I forget where. If you post on Kauai forum, someone may chime in.

I also suggest posting on Maui forum. There are many that are good there. We have done Ironwood ranch a few times...doesn't always get the greatest reviews because the head lady can be a bit gruff. BUT we liked it and she actually is quite nice if you talk to her a bit...beautiful scenery also. I know there atre others that people recommend though.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,343 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

Other options on Kaua`i are Silverfalls Ranch (north shore) and Esprit de Corp (east side). Both are good.

California
Level Contributor
6,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

On Maui I think it's called Ironwood (something like that) stables and it's just above the Napili area. I had friends go a couple of years back and enjoyed it.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

DH and I did the horseback ride in Haleakala crater on our first trip. I ride often, but DH doesn't and he was fine.

The company is Pony Express Tours. They do a crater ride and a ranch ride. We did the crater ride, and it was amazing.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

We've written on both islands & both are great. We rode with CJM on Kaua'i and Lahaina stables and Piiholo ranch on Maui -- all were great and I can't really pick a favorite. There's also an outfit out Hana way that comes highly recommended. It'll probably end up depending on your schedule.

7. Re: Horseback riding - Maui or Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:17