We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

53 yr old female traveling solo

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
53 yr old female traveling solo

I'm looking at going to Hawaii in August. I'll be traveling solo as my traveling companion had bailed on me for this trip. I plan to stay in Waikiki which is where you come in. Can anyone recommend a great hotel for me. The main things I want to do are laze in the sun (beach and also pool), bit of shopping at Ali Moana, trip around the island (is the bus still good?). I enjoy a drink at sunset followed by a nice dinner, and would love to meet fellow travellers. My budget is fairly open. Initially I was thinking somewhere like Outrigger Reef. Love to hear from you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

Welcome to the forum .. you will get heaps of ideas here.

Outrigger Reef and Waikiki are both good hotels and in good locations. I really believe if you want to stay on the beach, you need a beach view room .. which adds to the expense.

Because we have good beaches here (in Perth), I visit the Waikiki Beach, but its not important to me as the sights, the shopping (wow) and the restaurants.

I have been on my own before for 5 days before others arrive, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is very safe, and you just have to remember to use common sense.

The best located hotel I stayed at is the Holiday Inn Beachcomber .. its location is excellent, opposite the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre on the main street, so you can walk through that shopping centre, through the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (beautiful hotel and gardens) to the beach. There is also a walkway next to the Cheesecake Factory to walk to the beach ... the CF being opposite the Holiday Inn.

The Bus is great ... I have even used it to go to Pearl Harbor and back. It takes a little while longer, but I enjoy seeing the sights of metropolitan Honolulu.

On the way back, I got off at Ala Moana ... great shopping and a large food court.

I have also caught The Bus to downtown for a walk around, and walked back to Ala Moana .. great walk, and you need good shoes.

You can go all over the Island on the Bus, but it doesn't go as often as it used to. I would recommend you do something like the Polynesia Cultural Centre Circle Island trip, which ends up at the centre for a show and meal .. and they will bring you back to Waikiki.

Here's the link for that.

www.polynesia.com/circle-island-tour.html

After that, you could get The Bus to your favourite spots on the island. If you think you will use it regularly, you can buy a 4-day pass so you can get on and off anywhere ... or each bus rise is $2.50 each way. So it would cost you $5 for a return ticket to Pearl Harbor.

As for meeting people, if you go to somewhere like the Shorebird Restaurant for dinner (overlooking Waikiki Beach), you cook your meat at the open barbecue and get talking to people that way .... and I am sure they will invite you to their table. I would...!

http://shorebirdwaikiki.com/

You will love Hawaii .. and want to go back again and again.

I will send you a personal message.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

Thanks for your wonderful reply. I had been looking at the Holiday Inn Beachcomber as it had good reviews and was centrally located. All your information sounds spot on for what I am looking for.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

You know, it would help us greatly is you could provide a nightly accomodations budget for us. Open is ... open. I'd aim for the top: Halekulani or the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. The pool at Halekulani is gorgeous - and the service is superb! The Outrigger Reef is a good choice as well, although the pool doesn't have a view of the ocean.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 22:40
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

If you scroll down and click on the hotels that interest you, you'll see aerial views. I generally disregard the commentary.

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

This is a rough map of Waikiki hotels.

http://www.halekulani.com/ BTW, the food at Halekulani is wonderful.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

I'd probably be eyeing Moana Surfrider if I were you. It's smack dab in the heart of the action, and it's right next door to the very sociable and lively Duke's (which is in Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach), but it has more open space than either Outrigger property.

It has a beautiful, expansive lobby that's open on both sides, so you're connected to the outdoors and the ocean from many places on the property. And it's situated around a big, beautiful courtyard with a pool, banyan tree, and outdoor lounge area, all overlook the beach.

If open space is not important to you, then consider Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Right next door to Moana and more affordable. Or possibly Hyatt Regency, which is across the street.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

You'll find Waikiki to be fine for traveling solo. Easy to navigate. (as always, be aware, that never takes a vacation, lol) there are people all around, enjoying the beach, shopping, and dining; there's lots to do, the hotel's concierge can also assist you. Have a great time! :)

7. Re: 53 yr old female traveling solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 06:18