We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My favorite island is...because....

Tampa Bay, FL
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
My favorite island is...because....

Pick your favorite island and say why. I want to get ideas of where to go and just want your personal opinion. I will pick 2 islands! Thanks!!

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My favorite island is...because....

Big Island:

- always sunny on the Koala coast

- lots of wide open spaces, never feel fenced in

- huge variety of climate zones and scenery

- Hapuna Beach

- a real feeling of Hawaiian culture on the island, moreso than the other islands IMO.

- volcano, Hamakua Coast, Wapio Valley, Waimea, etc .....

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My favorite island is...because....

Big Island. People being outnumbered by turtles on the beach, the best swimming, snorkeling and diving of all the islands in the clearest water, accessible and well-preserved heiaus and historical parks, empty hiking trails, tons of micro climates, some of the best hotels in the state, diversity, low-density, preserved petroglyph fields and ancient fishponds, so quiet that the sunrise and sunset chorus of birds can be deafening, so dark it is one of the centers of world astronomy.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,158 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My favorite island is...because....

Kauai - the stunning scenery, the lack of development, the birds. Waimea Canyon, the stunning north shore. This island is exactly how I pictured Hawaii in my dreams before my first trip - still feel that way.

2nd favorite - the Big island - already shared above very well. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,457 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My favorite island is...because....

My favorite Island is Oahu. Amazing diversity. Amenities of a city (museums, restaurants, shopping, concerts, etc.) -- as well as rural areas with great beaches and landscapes. Most of Oahu is rural ... and the Island is small enough to drive anywhere fairly easy.

That being said -- please don't follow our advice! Our responses will be terribly random and incomplete. Pick up a copy of "Hawaii for Dummies," a highly-recommended travel guide that covers all the Islands. And get a good map! Pull up www.gohawaii.com. It's terribly commercial, but helpful for first-timers.

There is no substitution for doing your own research. Feel free to post any specific questions on the particular Island forums.

Be sure to give yourself at least 5 nights per island.

One more thing: you'll need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 22:06
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My favorite island is...because....

On the Big Island, the cattle probably outnumber the people, right Shea? I can't answer this question. I like the one with the nice beaches. LOL Aloha!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My favorite island is...because....

My favorite island is.................Maui, nice mixture of busy vs lazy, great snorkeling and the best humpback whale watching in the islands.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My favorite island is...because....

Kaua'i, because it comes closest to my mind's eye view of what a tropical island should look like. Or at least the north shore does.

I thought the Koala Coast was in Australia, drbergen. ;-)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,100 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My favorite island is...because....

Nicky - how long is your trip going to be? You'll likely want the best choices based on how much time you have ... e.g. 2 islands in 7 days vs. 2 islands in 14 days will generate different recommendations.

I haven't picked a favourite yet ... I think I need to revisit each one at least a few more times to come up with a clear winner ... they are all great!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My favorite island is...because....

1st: Maui, Kauai, Big Island

2nd: Oahu

Let's see - Because???...They are all islands in Hawaii and I don't think you can go wrong with any you select. Don't over think.

The point of how long your trip is might help select one or two. 7 nights...one island more then 9 nights you can do 2 but quick visits.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 23:14
LA
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My favorite island is...because....

It makes more sense to pick your itinerary based upon your interests, not those of others.

And as you have already committed to Maui, it makes sense to mention it.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 23:26