We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Rumors have it that Southwest Airlines is going to Hawaii, is it true?? How many bags of peanut will I be allowed to get, will there be direct flights or will I have to connect somewhere on an aircraft carrier or go through Kansas in order to get to Hawaii from California?????

c w
se reg.
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Direct flights? Southwest? Surely you jest.

But really, if they ever did it, of course there would have to be a nonstop flight from SOMEWHERE on the western mainland to HI.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,727 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Aloha,

Here is an update

bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2013/02/southwe…

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Virgin America is supposed to start flights in 2015.

beatofhawaii.com/virgin-america-hawaii-fligh…

3Chihuahuas

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Someone made a huge mistake at Southwest... I was talking with flight attendants and here's what I heard, The initial plan with the 737-800s was to go to Hawaii, the problem, the Southwest seat configuration has several more rows of seats than competitors that use this aircraft, with a packed flight they would have to leave several rows empty eating into profit margins, so looks like with the competition coming back and Virgin now announcing service in 2015, wouldn't be cost effective for Southwest now making it very unlikely they will start Hawaii service

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Oh boo on that.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Last I read, which wasn't all that long ago, the various unions involved were voting on the bells and whistles of flying over water. But that water may have been the Caribbean and not the Pacific Ocean.

Southwest flying to Hawaii has always been a tough visual for me. Practically speaking, they would have to change a number of their policies simply for Hawaii.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 23:39
California
Level Contributor
6,256 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

If SWA was ever to fly to Hawaii, these 737-800 planes would have a different seating configuration and the planes would be dedicated for the Hawaii flights only. Aloha and Alaska Airlines did the same exact thing.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

I don't see a date on this, but recall that it was within the past couple of months (+/-):

beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawaii-airline-up…

This one is older, but has additional info/informed speculation:

beatofhawaii.com/southwest-airlines-to-hawai…

Commentary regarding the possibility (or not) of inter-island flights...including Alaska Air:

beatofhawaii.com/southwest-airlines-hawaii-i…

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

I can't figure out the logic of #4. If the plane is packed, there are no empty seats.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest Airlines going to Hawaii?

Don't Ever put anything past Southwest Airlines ...When they set there mind to make money $$$ they always do...I can see Hawaii in their future