We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

My fiance and I are planning to travel to Hawaii for our honeymoon. Neither of us have ever been and so are researching to find the must sees and the must dos. We were recommended to Turtle Bay resort in Oahu and are looking to stay there in a king cottage for the first part of our trip. We really like the private Lanai and direct walk out to the beach. We were also recommended to Maui and are looking for a resort similar to the Turtle Bay. Are there any resorts in Maui that offer private plunge pools or walk outs to the beach that is similar to Turtle Bay? Should we look to stay somewhere else other than Maui?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

How about you tell us a bit more about you and what you want to do . . . like - when are you coming? How long do you have for the honeymoon? nightly budget and types of lodging you are wanting? Will you rent a car? Activities you want to do? Nightlife important? Want a more rural experience? All those will help narrow down island choices. check out the top questions on the right hand side of the page and you can also go to www.gohawaii.com for a good overview of all the islands. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

We really need more info if you want our help! When are you traveling and for how long? What are you looking for for a nightly budget! What do you like to do/see/explore?

I suggest the info to the upper right and buying the great book "Hawaii for Dummies"...sorry title but really good for choosing an island.

Just a tip, DO NOT fly out the day after the Wedding! Give yourselves a day or two to recover before traveling across time-zones!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

Oops sorry! We are planning on anywhere from 10-14 days. We are flying out the evening two days after our wedding (Monday evening). I think we are leaning towards renting a car, as long as we can take a ferry from Oahu to Maui since we would like to experience different islands and not stay in one place the entire vacation. We were told to expect Maui to be more romantic and relaxed than Oahu. We are not looking for much nightlife. We are more into hiking/exploring/excursions/water sports/snorkeling. We want to see as much as we can but also enjoy our time at the resort. We are thinking maybe Travaasa since they have cottages with private hot tubs but do not know much about Hana. I cannot find any other resorts that offer private plunge pools/hot tubs on Maui. We are looking to pay no more than $1500 a night. Thanks for all of the help!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

Okay - still didn't tell us when you are coming . . . that would help.

No ferry from Oahu to Maui - you have to fly on interisland flight - we would recommend Hawaiian airlines.

Hana is great for a night or two, but it is very removed from the rest of Maui - you can't use it as a base to explore. If you really aren't into nightlife, and enjoy hiking & exploring, I would seriously consider Kauai as your second island. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

oh - and I forgot to add, you will need a rental car on every island - you can do without one on Oahu if you are staying right in Waikiki, but for anywhere else, you will need a car. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

What time of year are you traveling? This will make a difference in recommendations.

I would back up and start from the beginning so to speak. Pick your islands first before you pick your hotels. Get a guidebook like "Hawaii for Dummies" and read through www.gohawaii.com about each island before deciding. See which islands appeal to you most and have the atmosphere that you are looking for.

Most hotels in HI will not have a private plunge pool, not even the really nice resorts. That is more of a Carribean thing. In HI, all the beaches are public, and people get out and explore the beaches and all the different sights and don't tend to stay in their resorts the whole time, and oceanfront realty is at a premium so that is why I'm guessing no plunge pools.

Travassa in Hana is really isolated, and as mentioned before is not the best base for exploring Maui, maybe for a couple nights, depending on time of year, but it is a very long drive to the beaches on the West side of the island from there, and a long drive to Haleakala too.

Since you are from the East Coast, and want to see two islands, I'd recommend going for as long as you can ... 14 nights.

Are we correct that your budget is no more than $1500 a night? With that kind of budget you can stay in the nicest suite at the nicest resort on each island, so I wouldn't worry too much about choosing your resort until you've picked your islands, and you might want to look at different resorts than Turtle Bay too once you know your options.

Since you are not too far away from DC/ NOVA I know a really good small travel agent that I have used twice for traveling to HI, including for my honeymoon and my friends used them for their honeymoon in Europe. They will give you personalized service and they have been to HI many many many times and would give you excellent advice...PM me if you are interested. I know many on the forums do not recommend travel agents in general, but it really did help us and make things so much easier for us when we were busy planning the wedding too and we had someone we could call and talk to or email with all our questions, and we didn't have to take all the time to make reservations and search for flights, car rentals, etc., ourselves.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

Private plunge pools are a Caribbean thing, like all-inclusives. It's a bad idea to bring Caribbean expectations to Hawaii. Doing so will severly limit your options.

Case in point: Travaasa is a bad choice for many travelers. It's difficult to get to and far from many offerings on Maui. By insisting on a private hot tub, etc., you could be adding hours of hassles to your travel time.

Maui is not more relaxed and romantic than the North Shore of Oahu (where Turtle Bay is located). Turtle Bay is on a breathtaking piece of property -- absolutely stunning. When people say Maui is more relaxed than Oahu, they're talking about Waikiki, not the North Shore. Do a search for Turtle Bay Resort at images.google.com and you'll see what I mean.

I also consider Kauai much more romantic than Maui.

And no, there are no ferries between the four major islands. Getting from one island to another requires an airport trip as time-consuming and hassle-filled as the one you'll experience in Virginia. Switching islands will eat up close to half a day.

People in here usually recommend visiting no more than one island per week. You do have time for two islands, but that doesn't mean you should try to squeeze them in. Each of the four major islands has tons more to see and do than you could squeeze in in a month. So when you leave one island to go to another, you're leaving behind missed opportunities. It's a trade-off that has to be considered carefully.

If you want a relaxing, romantic vacation, there's no reason to leave Oahu at all. The main reason people go from one island to another is to see specific sights (like Pearl Harbor or Volcanoes National Park) or to enjoy specific activities (like driving the Road to Hana or hiking the Napali Coast). For someone who DOESN'T want to hit a list of specific sights, there may be no reason to add an extra airport schlep to your itinerary.

Keep reading and asking and learning what Hawaii's all about (and why it's so very different from the Caribbean) and you'll end up with a better sense of the perfect spot or spots for you!

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

We are traveling in April 2014

9. Re: Traveling to Hawaii for Honeymoon, advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:17