We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

After being bumped off their website 3 times trying to book a flight from Lihue to Kona and return, I decided to call the reservations number, knowing it would cost me. The phone was answered by a young woman with a very heavy accent. I persevered even though it became apparent she had real problems with English (I spelled Robert for her several times) and the Hawaiian names were worse. After about 30 minutes, we had it, I thought, and she agreed to e-mail the confirmation. It arrived and I had a flight from Lihue to Honolulu, from Honolulu to Kona, retuning from Kona to Honolulu and that was it. No flight back to Lihue. I called back. Spoke to a young man with less of an accent but a real problem understanding why I was upset. He suggested he could fix it for me for another charge. I said "No". I booked the last leg myself on line.

Found an e-mail address for Customer Service for Hawaiian and fired off an unhappy gram. They acknowledged it and said they would listen to the conversations and get back to me. Within a week, they did and agreed the problem was theirs. They linked my flights with one confirmation number and gave me a nice credit.

When you live on the outer islands, you are sort of at the mercy of the airlines, especially Hawaiian, so I was pleased that they were willing to listen and admit a mistake.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

I appreciate your post, ShantyBob! When HA moved their phone-based services overseas - the quality took a real DIVE. I have had to re-book flights through them, and it can be a real ordeal. I need to use a credit fairly soon on a rather complicated flight - and I just DREAD calling them.

I'm glad your story had a happy ending.

Would you PM me the email address that you used?

Thanks,

Betty Lou

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

I used to love talking to their reps in Honolulu. Nothing but frustration since customer service moved off shore. The reps seem unable to handle anything that is not in their "script". I usually end up asking to speak to a supervisor. (Truthfully, I usually end up flying Alaska Airlines since their reps are still easy to understand and very helpful.)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

Good for you! Glad they came through for you. I needed to call HA to link our reservations together and I was also dreading it - I think I got lucky, a very nice lady with minimal accent answered and was able to link 4 separate tickets together (long story but airfare was cheaper to book 1 person at a time for 2 open-jaw mainland flights and 2 inter-island). It took her a while, but I think that was computers, not her personally...I even told her how efficient she was, thanked her and did the optional survey.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 07 June 2013, 20:47
4. Re: Kudos to Hawaiian Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:16