We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
201 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

Good morning!

I have FINALLY put together most of our itinerary but have some questions and would LOVE some guidance! We are 2 couples in our late 40’s/early 50’s from North Carolina, very active, LOVE great food/drinks/dancing J We have never been to Hawaii before and are splitting our trip between Oahu and Maui. See my proposed itinerary below. Please feel free to offer ANY suggestions. As always, thank you SO MUCH!

Places we would like to see in Oahu if we have time: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, North Shore, Bishop Museum, Ilona Palace, Punchbowl

10/24 - Thursday night - arrive 5:49pm into HNL (after leaving the east coast @ 7am), pick up our rental car then check into Moana Surfrider, drinks and light dinner @ hotel bar or @ Hula Grill if not exhausted

Friday – Hike Diamond Head in am, (? Should we change this to Saturday in order to visit the farmers market), lunch @ ??; pool/snorkel in afternoon. Drinks with music/hula dancers @ HWAK @ 5pm, Dinner @ Dukes

Saturday – Pearl Harbor in am (plan to get 1st tickets), Lunch @ Surf Lanai @ Royal Hawaiian or shrimp truck at North Shore; afternoon drive/explore North Shore, late afternoon drinks under the Banyon Tree @ our hotel; Dinner @ Helenas (for authentic) or Alan Wong’s for something nicer (latest reviews don’t sound great… maybe we should try somewhere else?)

Sunday – Maybe lazy morning, or Bishop Museum or Ilona Palace, lunch @ ??; be @ HNL by 1:45 pm, flight to Maui (HA334) @ 3:16pm, arrive Kahului OGG @ 3:53pm, pick up rental car and drive to the Grand Wailea, Dinner @ Humuhumu or Moneypod

Monday – Road to Hana (RTH) , leave ~ 7 am, get gas & snacks for the cooler in Paia; Lunch @ Mama’s Fish House, Dinner @ Moneypod Kitchen

Tuesday – “Resort day”, rent standup paddle board early in am; spa (book couples massage), snorkel, pool time, reading, etc…. Lunch @ Coconuts, Dinner @ ? Lahaina Grill if we want to drive to Lahaina

Wednesday – Trilogy snorkeling tour – Lanai vs Molokini….Lunch on boat , Dinner @ ?

Thursday – Resort in am, then head upcountry for the afternoon; Lunch @ Kula Lodge or O’o farms, Pacific’O; sunset at Haleakala (sunset is supposed to be ~ 6:15, how long will it take to get back to our hotel?) Dinner @ Spago

Friday - Explore the west…. Lahaina/Napili/Kapalua; Lunch @ Sure thing burgers or Teddys for burgers or Star Noodle; Dinner @ Merriman’s for early dinner and sunset….

11/2 - Saturday – Can’t quite figure out what to do with this “last day”… don’t want to waste it waiting to go to the airport….. flight home doesn’t leave OGG until 11:30pm. I have read multiple posts but am still unsure of what to do. I thought we might swim, snorkel, etc at the hotel and maybe have an afternoon spa appt (then we could use their showers) and have a late dinner at Mama’s but wonder if you have other ideas. I’d love to have a FUN last day!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,776 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

I'll look at your itinerery later. But a few things you can do now.

"Saturday – Pearl Harbor in am (plan to get 1st tickets)" - For $1.50 service fee, you can make reservations for USS Arizona Memorial. You won't need reservations for any of the other Pearl Harbor museums.

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & the islands of Oahu & Maui. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Go to the Oahu forum. On the Oahu forum, read the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

On the Oahu forum, use the search: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports.

Do the same on the Maui forum.

Order the free Air Maui map. It is really nice:

http://www.airmaui.com/mauimap.php

North Carolina
Level Contributor
201 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

Hi dusty56438!

Thanks so much! I have done most of the things you suggested and have found them SO helpful.... As I do before going anywhere I read every trip report that comes along and have gotten most of my ideas from them. I'm also using chowhound for additional restaurant help. I had not ordered the map you suggested but will do that ASAP as many of the others I've been using aren't really great. I haven't ordered my Arizona tickets yet because I'm still trying to decide between Friday and Saturday.... ? Busyness of memorial, importance/fun of farmers market, plus whatever other stuff I haven't considered in deciding between those 2 days. I hope to make those reservations in the next week. Also, should I divide up this itinerary and post in Maui and Oahu forums? Thanks!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,811 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

It's nice to have things you *might* do, but this is really too ambitious. You are planning too much in most days and underestimating the time each thing takes. For one thing, Road to Hana is a 12-hour day. You aren't going to be back to Paia for lunch at Mama's, and you'd be pretty tired for dinner out that night. (Maybe you plan to only go a little ways down 'the road'?) You won't do Pearl and all the rest of that list either. (Skip walking up Diamond Head.)

You're already pushing it by doing two islands in this short time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,611 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

I answered on your other thread which is a bit different. Perhaps you may want to just post your itinerary for each individual island?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k658194…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

Lol i would be feeling bad if I ate this much! Consider one big restaurant a day and smaller stuff for the other meals.

Mama's and Hana don't really work. You'll be in Hana at lunchtime unless you don't do the entire road. For active folks the pipiwai trail is totally worth it so i would picnic for lunch and do the hike.

Maybe dinner at monkeypodbwhen when you get back. Maybe something like pita paradise (same shopping center) if you are tired.

Upcountry...can you eat at the farms without doing the tour? maybe something has changed. Pacific'o is in Lahaina.

Agree with spa on the last day. Skip it on your other resort say. Do morning at beach, afternoon at spa, then clean up and have a nice dinner.

For Trilogy, if you do the later Lanai departure you won't really need dinner...you could just get drinks and apps in Lahaina. Lanai trip is awesome.

As long as you are flexible and ok with skipping one or two things, I think your plan is good!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,776 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

"Mama's and Hana don't really work. You'll be in Hana at lunchtime unless you don't do the entire road. For active folks the pipiwai trail is totally worth it so i would picnic for lunch and do the hike."

Very true. If you leave at 7am, you will be near Hana around lunch time.

And you will still have Ohe'o Gulch, Pipiwai Trail & Lindburgh's Grave to see.

And don't hurry back to have dinner at Mama's. The more time you spend on Road to Hana & beyond, the better the trip will be. Expect to be back in Wailea around 7pm.

Mama's is close enough to Wailea that you can go there a different day.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,776 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

I like the Saturday morning Farmer's Market at KCC right below Diamond Head.

Don't know if it would be worth it to stop there if I only had two days on Oahu.

I would rather take Driving tour #1 after Diamond Head. See the Top Question on the Oahu forum, Driving tours.

After Pearl Harbor, you can take the "scenic" route back to Waikiki. See the Top Questions on the Oahu forum. Driving tours (Driving tour #3), National Cemetery of the Pacific (include Roundtop/Tantalus Drive).

The Amberloo & Food Top Question is really good.

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

I would really recommend the Saturday Farmer's Market, at least a quick stop, since you said you are both big food and garden geeks (like me)! I really love it - it's a great place to get a good fresh taste of the island. Have some misoyake butterfish!!! It was a delicious breakfast! And pick up some of the kiawe smoked pink sea salt it's fabulous, and I can't find it on Maui or on line! How about you send some to me? Lol! ;-)

If you plan to do Diamond Head first on Saturday get there as early as possible. Parking was full when we tried it. And it will be a HOT hike - did you say you are going in summer? Have a blast!!!

Edited: 13 June 2013, 14:02
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,776 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

If you Hike Diamond Head on a Saturday & the parking lot is filled, you can park at KCC & do the hike from there.

10. Re: Help with proposed itinerary for Oahu and Maui!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:17