We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

Save Topic
North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

Hello!

I will be in Kauai for 5 nights in the middle of September (19-24). I booked a condo at sea lodge for all 5 nights (which can still be cancelled).

I'm conflicted on where to stay bc I'm not sure how the water/weather will be around then. I wanted to snorkel at tunnel's beach & visit the "secret beach". Enjoy the beautiful scenery of the north shore .

I definitely want to visit the south shore & already have two activities planned in Lihue - a luau & ATV tour.

I'm wondering if anyone has stayed in the north shore &/or south shore mid. Of sept & can offer some advice.

Thanks so much!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

I haven't been there in Sept, but have heard repeatedly on the forum that September is a wonderful time on the islands and that the north shore is still calm - I would stay put and put the worries to rest. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

We stayed near Tunnels in mid-September in 2011. There were a couple days when swells rolled in making snorkeling a little tough, but it was on that trip that my wife really fell in love with the north shore. And now she won't stay anywhere else.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

You should still be ok about that time... September is a transition month where south becomes calmer than the north. You'd be arriving a couple weeks after me...

Secret Beach, which isn't real secret anymore, can get pretty rough and requires caution. It is pretty. Tunnels is generally nice, snorkel near shore.

You do know Lihue is east coast, right?

Save Reply
4. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

Thanks for the tips. I don't plan to get in the water at the "secret beach" but am hoping tunnels is calm enough to. & yes, I know Lihue is in the east (I just meant it appears to be closer to the south shore than the north shore when I looked on google maps). Would you split your trip if you had activities planned in Lihue on 2 dif days?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,364 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

September is wonderful on the North Shore, our favorite time to be there. No worries.

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,129 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

You'll be fine north shore in September.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

Assuming the condo at Sealodge has a cleaning fee probably somewhere in the $175 ballpark it would be better to drive from there for your activities at Lihue. Same applies for your trip to the south and/or west coast. Kauai is pretty small so with only five nights I would not move locations.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,384 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

North is Kauai's most beautiful location. I'd just stay up there and enjoy it, with a single daytrip south to Poipu and the canyon. Might you do a luau or ATV somewhere else in Hawaii? Long drive 'home' from a luau at night; maybe they will collect you and drop you off? Where are you going before or after Kauai?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

I would stick with Sealodge and the North Shore. Are you doing the luau at Kilohana? They provide bus service from some places up here. Also Princeville Ranch has ATV tours.

Save Reply
10. Re: North vs. south shore kauai mid. sept.?

THANKS SO MUCH, EVERYONE! I appreciate all of the tips & advice.

I think we'll just stay in the North Shore since everyone seems to think it's beautiful, even in sept. & pretty rough to move around esp. since that's the only place we'll be visiting in Hawaii (on this trip).

We're going to Lu'au Kalamaku in Lihue. I heard the show is really great. I'll look into the bus service as well & decide if I think it's better to drive on our own or get picked up/dropped off.

I also chose the Kipu Ranch Adventures ATV waterfall tour bc it has great reviews. Since it's four hours & we're going on the 8AM tour, I might suggest we head to the South Shore to relax after, depending how we feel.

If the North Shore water is too rough to snorkel, I might suggest we make an early day trip to the South Shore on a free day to snorkel & paddle boat or something else!

If anyone has any other suggestions on activities (esp. in the South Shore) please feel free to let me know!