We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Shopping or Dining out

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Shopping or Dining out

I was wondering which cost is cheaper? Or wat would be better

..I will be doing a 7 day trip should we just buy are own food. Or dine out nightly

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

Whee will you be staying?(condo or a hotel) If you have the set up to cook and store, I would buy food for breakfast and lunch and go out for a nice dinner at least some of the nights.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

I will be staying in a condo.....I was reading about the price with 6 people it shouldn't be bad correct

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
885 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

We buy breakfast items for the morning, and snacks to take to the beach. Because we are exploring the island all day, we will stop and have lunch or very early dinner. There are a ton of "early bird" specials before 6:00pm. We have found out where the locals like to eat, and enjoy great meals for 1/2 of what it would cost to make in a condo. We stay on the west side, and here are a list of my favorites that are kind to the wallet:

Aloha Mixed Plate: http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Honokowai Okazuya Restaurant: www.mauihawaii.org/restaurants/okazuya.htm

Java Jazz & Soup Nutz: http://www.javajazz.net/

Since we visit at Christmas, I will cook dinner on Christmas. For the past 3 years, Ribeye Roast for 6 people will run about $5.99 a pound! Milk is pricey about $6.00 a gallon. Some veggies are also expensive, especially salad. I like the Times Grocery store, but there is also Safeway, which is just as good. I guess it all depends on your budget and what you like to eat. I do love to cook, but I also enjoy being on vacation and not wanting to cook ;o)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

Thank

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

What Island will you be on? Have you chosen an Island? You're on the generic forum for the State of Hawaii - basicly used for questions that are not Island-specific or by folks who have not chosen their Island.

It's completely up to you to decide which is better. It depends on what you want. Will you be hanging around the condo all the time ... just to eat? Plan on alot of picnics? Eating in is probably cheaper if you don't over-buy ... but then you will miss the great fun of eating out and about the Island.

If saving money is your utmost priority - then make your own meals. If experiencing the Island is important to you - eat out for at least on meal a day.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,458 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

We always do a bit of both - all depends on your budget and travel style. While I like to eat out on vacation, I also don't always like taking the time - much easier to eat breakfast at condo, pack a lunch for the beach or days adventure and then have dinner out. I know some folks that eat every meal out - and others that don't eat out at all when they go to Hawaii. If you want specific help, do let us know what island you are traveling too - for grocery store or restaurant recommendations. :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

If you are visiting Honolulu.....

And enjoy eating at ethnic and local restaurants,

Then eating out is generally much cheaper then preparing meals yourself.

Plus they are tasty, diverse, and someone else is cooking and cleaning up.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

Another thing about eating out ... it's easier to make everyone happy when they have a menu to choose from.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,383 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

What island?

Oahu is probably best for either eating most meals at the condo, or eating at inexpensive restaurants or a combination of the two.

If you are going to Oahu, go to the Oahu forum. Read the Top Questions. Amberloo & Food & the Cheap Eats Top Questions are good.

Whatever island(s) you will visit, read the Top Questions on those islands. Most have some restaurant info. Also the Websites Top Questions for each island may have restaurant links.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Shopping or Dining out

I think the condo is in Kona....Now the debate has turned to the most recent shark attacks :(