We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Hi,

My wife and I are planning our honeymoon and really want to visit Hawaii.

First time for both of us...and we have 8 night.

We are arriving from either LAS (Las-Vegas) or LAX (Los-Angeles).

Which island do you recommend for that season?

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Will you rent a car? Truthfully, the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu is reasonably the only location you should choose without a car. And most of Oahu is rural, so you will need a car to explore the Island ... or take tours.

You are coming at peak summer vacation season for families, and you are planning quite late. Any of the Islands is great during the summer ... but our first question is about the car. It makes a big difference.

Are you familiar with the Islands ... the options for each?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Only with what I've read online. But I haven't reached any concrete conclusions yet.

As for your question, well yes - if we need a car we will rent one.

About what we're looking for...mmm...we've stayed in many places during many of our trips...as this is our honeymoon, we are looking for something quiet, preferably rather secluded, ocean/beach resort/hotel or something, with 4 star minimum...

Thank you very much!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

On Maui, you should look at the Ritz in Kapalua or the Four Seasons in Wailea. Others can chime in about the North Shore of Kauai.

Make sure that you reserve your car as soon as you have your flights. Hawaii does run out of rental cars.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Thank you!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Considering what you're looking for, I think you would *love* the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island. We were there for the first time this past May and we can't imagine a better honeymoon destination. We loved our main floor room with the lava shower. The food was wonderful as was the service. We had no desire to leave the resort at all during our 6 nights/7 days there, although we had 2 snorkel tours planned so we did leave twice, reluctantly. In fact we loved it so much that we plan to return in May 2014 for 14 nights and will probably not even rent a car this time.

If you do want to see some sites though, there's lots to be seen on the Big Island. We spent 2 nights in Volcano to do a guided tour to the flowing lava and see Volcanos National Park. It was amazing and I highly recommend doing the guided tour, especially. And while we were at the FS we went for the manta ray night snorkel. Those two activities are unique to the Big Island and not to be missed, IMO.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

What activities are you interested in for your trip? Is relaxing at a pool most important? Or beaches? Snorkeling ? Beautiful Scenery? Shopping? Night life? Historical sights? Cultural sights?

Read an overview of the different islands and look at the pictures on www.gohawaii.com ... This should help you start to narrow your choices. It is hard to recommend an island without knowing more about what you are looking for. Also, what is your nightly budget in U.S. dollars?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

To add to my list above ... Are outdoor activities such as hiking/ kayaking something you're interested in?

Really the more you can tell us the more helpful we can be.

Do you definitely want to stay in a resort hotel? Or would you be interested in renting a condo or a cottage as well?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

In August I would choose the north shore of Kauai or Kapalua on Maui. Waikiki is always fun, but not the quiet retreat you requested. North shore Oahu has Turtle Bay -- cottages there are nice, but there's not much choice of restaurants. Although Four Seasons Hualalai is possibly Hawaii's top resort, Big Island of Hawaii will be hot; September is Hawaii's hottest month. Four Seasons Wailea is Maui's best hotel, but The Ritz in Kapalua is second. You'd have more seclusion, but again, less restaurant choices, at Four Seasons Lanai.

OK, I'm going to select...Maui -- The Ritz or FS Wailea (more convenient if you want to tour the island).

Decide on the island today and reserve your rental car for airport pickup.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

Thank you for all the information!!!

It helped us a LOT!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honemoon in Hawaii; Late August 2013

I agree, the FS Hualalai on the BI would be a fantastic choice. It's much more Hawaiiana and quiet than the FS Wailea on Maui. A helicopter tour of Volcanoes National Park would be an excellent highlight as well.