We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you rather do next Summer?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
313 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you rather do next Summer?

I should be planning and getting ready for my month long trip to Oahu in August, but I've been spending time and money (allocated for Hawaii) hanging out at the beach cities in Orange County. Yesterday I was at San Clemente where it was about 76 degrees then had dinner in Newport Beach where it was 70. The only thing comparable was Kona in the winter, when it was 75 at dinner time. I love that kind of weather. I'm already thinking of next year and decided I'll spend several weeks staying in towns from San Diego to Santa Barbara or spend it on Kauai, Maui, with a stop on Oahu in between. I love the mild, low humidity of the coast in the Summer, but also love the culture and people of the islands. What would you do?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

If you like low humidity, perhaps the drier sides of the islands? Though for me personally, I would want to be on the north shore of Kauai in the summer time! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

I would pick anywhere in Hawaii over California any day, any time.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

I'd pick a Kaua‘i beach over a SoCal beach any day. The water is warmer and most likely, cleaner. Not as crowded either....plus you can get all that great food...like Loco Moco :-)

3Chihuahuas

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
12 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

It has been my experience that Hawaii beaches top California beaches. I live in California and visit Newport, Laguna and Corona Del Mar frequently. I love our California beaches but Hawaii has cleaner water and beaches. Go to Hawaii :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,527 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

I would always choose Hawaii mainly because of the ocean awesomeness. I've swam, snorkeled and dove in CA and while there are some cool spots it's just too dang cold.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
313 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

Ms Fuzz & Shea, I should elaborate that my family goes back four generations in Hi. and some of my relatives on my father's side own with other local families some of the hotels and restaurants on Oahu. If you're local born and raised, Hawaii is a small place and everybody knows your business. When I went to USC, I was the only one not from a private school and yet about half of the Hawaii kids refused to go back to the islands, preferring the anonymity and freedom that the Mainland offers. Having lived in both places, the question is a difficult one and a real one for me (assuming the bond market doesn't tank too fast). The only solution I've been able to come up with is to visit Hi. a couple of times a year and stay 2 to several weeks at a time.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

UH, if you plan to live in SoCA for the rest of your life ... you will have plenty of access to SoCA beaches. I'm from SoCA myself, and often when I return, I am taken with the landscape and beauty that still exists in those areas.

That being said, life has a way of settling around you and constraining your time and activities. Call it "responsibility?" "Priorities?" So if you have the freedom, flexibility and funds to go to Hawaii for a long period of time in the near future, I would grab it.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,527 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

Oh. Well then, that's easy. I'd go to French Polynesia. :-)

Hear you on the anonymity.

"What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do - especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road." ~William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

9. Re: Which would you rather do next Summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17