We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary, please!

Hadley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary, please!

Help! I'm being told our itinerary is too busy!

We’ll be celebrating our 25th anniversary in September. I’ve always wanted to take a cruise to the Caribbean but my husband won’t go so a trip to Hawaii was his counter offer. He says he really doesn’t want to go, he’s just doing it for me. Still, I’ve tried to add in some stuff I think he would really like (and I don’t care to do), like surfing lessons. The best airfare I found was from 11/12/13-11/21/13 leaving from New York City so I’m looking at those dates.

We’re thinking of 4 days in Oahu, a quick trip to Kauai for a helicopter tour and then 5 days in Maui. We’d like to do the road to Hana and would like a convertible for that but a regular compact car for the rest of the time (if needed).

Anyway, below is what I came up with. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

12-Nov Day 1 - Arrive in Oahu - check in; relax

13-Nov Day 2 - morning - Leave early for Pearl Harbor

13-Nov Day 2 - afternoon - Segway of Hawaii - Honolulu History & Culture Tour

14-Nov Day 3 - morning - Dolphin Encounter @ Dolphin Quest (just me)

14-Nov Day 3 - late morning to evening - Polynesian Cultural Center (including Luau)

15-Nov Day 4 - sleep in

15-Nov Day 4 - early afternoon - North Shore Girls - surf lessons (just DH)

15-Nov Day 4 - late afternoon - Horseback - Sunset Group Ride - Hawaiian Polo Club

15-Nov Day 4 - night - Friday Night Fireworks at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort (Watch from Ala Moana Beach Park?)

16-Nov Day 5 - morning - Leave for Kauai

16-Nov Day 5 - mid day - Helicopter Tour – Safaru Helicopters

16-Nov Day 5 - evening - leave for Maui; check in; relax

17-Nov Day 6 - early morning - Haleakala sunrise (or sunset)

17-Nov Day 6 - afternoon to eve - Lahaina & Old Lahaina Village Luau

18-Nov Day 7 - all day; leave early - Road to Hana

19-Nov Day 8 - Maui Bike Loop - rent a motorcycle for the day

20-Nov Day 9 - Free Day

21-Nov Day 10 - Relax; check out; depart

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

Well, since you asked for feedback I'll give it to you!! You only have time for ONE island!! Packing this much into the time you have will make your dh hate Hawaii. I'm not sure I would do a lot of the things you have planned or where you have them planned. There are too many other things that will bring the essence of Hawaii to you. If I were you, I would stay either on Oahu or Maui then perhaps do one day trip to another island if it is a must.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

Wow, tobze, you picked your name correctly!

Msfuzz is usually a go-go gal, so if she says you have way too much, you know you do!!! I would only do one island as well, and cut out about 3/4 of your booked activities. You could pay for another trip with the money you save! Please also, go up to the FAQ section and read, "Why not to swim with dolphins".

You do want to let yourself get out and explore on your own, discovering Island time. On your last day, is your flight early or late? If late, that is a day I would book an activity. Otherwise it's too easy to waste the last day anticipating the trip home and feeling sad. Of course if you do all that you have planned now, you will definitely need to rest that day!

Relax and enjoy your time with your husband. He wants to make you happy, isn't that wonderful? It really is all about finding the Hawai'i spirit of Aloha. Happy Anniversary!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

I'd do one island. If you stay on O`ahu a day trip to Kaua`i is fairly easy.

Please skip the Dolphin Encounter. Check out Why Not to Swim with Dolphins under the Top Questions on this forum.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

I would do two islands. I'm also an always on the go type & don't spend much time on the beach.

Skip the helicopter flight on Kauai. Helicopter rides on Kauai are the best, but Maui is not far behind.

Polynesian Cultural Center has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.

You also have Old Lahaina Luau on your schedule.

With a limited number of days on Oahu, skip PCC & go to Old Lahaina Luau.

You'll free up an entire day on Oahu for other things.

And you'll free up 1/2 a day if you take a helicopter tour on Maui instead of Kauai.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Now I'm not sure what to do. If I get rid of 1/2-3/4 of the activities. He's not going to sit on a beach for more than 10 minutes without being bored (which it why I was going to send him surfing so I can sit).

Maybe what I should have asked was:

"If you were going to Oahu for 4 days & Maui for 5, what would you do?"

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

Again, we would let you know this isn't enough time to go to 2 different islands. That said, if you want to do that, it's your vacation and you can do it however you want!!

Knock out the segway's. Totally touristy thing to do, and resented by most local residents, including me. I almost got knocked over by one in Waikiki and I did see someone doing a face plant from one on concrete. I also personally think swimming with captive dolphins is cruel and would knock that out also.

Instead, take a day to tour around the island by car. Wonderful scenery and places to stop and explore.

Other alternatives are museums and the only royal palace in the US, Iolani Palace.

Consider the surf lessons for your dh in Waikiki instead of the north shore. Reason? Waikiki is the birthplace of surfing, choice of instructors and better surf during the month of November for beginners.

Cut out going on the helicopter tour on Kauai and go straight to Maui. On Maui, with your limited time, you will be spending a lot of it in a car. Going to Haleakala will take up the better part of a day and the road to Hana the whole day. Choose one of the other. Water activities are very popular on Maui, have any interest on going out on the water on a boat? Snorkeling? You could swim, kayak, canoe, boogie board, surf, SUP, parasail or jet ski.

Going to the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Old Lahaina Luau is fairly redundant. You might want to pick one of the other. I enjoy both but wouldn't go to both during one visit.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

I heard the Old Lahaina Luau was the best. If I were to only do one, which one would you choose?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

I agree with getting rid of the Segway, Old Lahaina luau, and DolphinQuest, and skipping going to Kauai.

Coming from the east coast you're going to have a big time change and jet lag issue. You should factor that in. No one is suggesting you just sit on a beach, most of us who post here regularly are fairly active people, but you also don't want to leave needing a vacation from your vacation. Interisland travel is expensive and time consuming. You could put that money saves towards nicer accommodation or dining out.

I personally would spend the whole time on Oahu. There is tons to do and most of your wants can be accomplished there. You could split the time between Waikiki and the north shore and get two very different experiences.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

Comparing these two places is like comparing apples and oranges.

The Old Lahaina Luau is a very good traditional Hawaiian luau. It lasts for 3-4 hours.

The Polynesian Cultural Center has different village's of different Polynesian countries. Learning about the different cultures, playing games etc. Canoe rides and a canoe pageant. You go about noon and stay the whole day. There are different food offerings for dinner, one being a luau. Then after dinner you see the evening show, which is the best entertainment in hawaii.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:23
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary, please!

I agree with Msfuzz, I just think many of your paid activities need to go and those are the three I'd cut, not that I think the OLL and PCC are the same.