We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental for British citizen

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental for British citizen

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of hours reading up on insurance for car rentals in Hawaii, and I'm more confused then when I started...!

I reserved a car with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals a while back (with Avis) which cost $464 for 12 days. However, reading up on their website, it looks like there is NO insurance included. As I'm a British citizen, my existing car insurer does not cover me, same goes for any credit cards I have.

As I understand it, CDW / LDW is not insurance, neither is "excess" insurance.

What do I require, and where can I get it from?!

Searching through some previous TA threads I came across the below website, has anybody used them?

atlasdirect.co.uk/car-rental-insurance.asp

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental for British citizen

I would call Hertz in the UK. Talk with them about renting in the USA. Let them walk you through your options. Whether you decide to use their services in Hawaii or not -- that is where I would start - with a reputable multi-national company.

I would also make sure (not doubting you...) that your car insurance in the UK covers nothing at all when renting a car in the US. Nothing?

What would you do if you were renting in France or Spain? Have you done that before? Any similarities?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental for British citizen

DiscountHawaiiCarRentals used to have a link on their page that said: "All-inclusive rates with insurance and other optional services are available for AU & NZ & EU & UK residents". I cannot seem to find this today, however.

Perhaps you should try emailing them to see if the Liability, CDW/LDW is still offered by them and can be added to your quote?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental for British citizen

Found it! Hard to find, even when looking for the info.

See this booking request page, down towards the bottom in the optional info section, you can click on your country of residence:

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/form.shtml

It still says: "All-inclusive rates with insurance and other optional services are available for AU & NZ & EU & UK residents."

It is just buried in the booking request form.

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental for British citizen

We have used car hire 3000 twice in the last two years. They provided all the insurance we needed for the states and was the best rate we found (cheaper than discount hawaii). I would suggest u check out money saving expert.com and go to the car hire tab which gives u loads of tips and reputable companies

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental for British citizen

Aloha,

Can you get a rider on your existing auto policy?

6. Re: Car rental for British citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17