We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

We plan to fly from Lihue to HNL on Hawaiian, then HNL to PDX on Alaska. So it seems we may have a problem with luggage. Is it still true Hawaiian will not check luggage through for us?. Plus they have 25 pound carryon limit. My wife will be way over that.

If we check a bag in Lihue where do we pick it up? Do we have to go out of secure area? Then have to come back. Right now we have 2 hours in HNL. Wonder if that will be enough time. .

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

You can't check baggage through from one airline to another. You'll have to retrieve luggage then recheck it to new airline and then go through security again. Are you saving enough money to make the hassle worthwhile? You can also get flat rate boxes at the post office and mail home enough stuff to get under carry-on weight

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

For our fall Maui trip, we save a significant amount of money by booking ANC-HNL and the opposite to return home. There was a trip report by an Alaskan in June that mentioned her bags being checked straight thru to ANC from OGG, even though the family was on separate reservation codes to HNL on HA AIR and ANC on AK AIR. I would not count on such luck, but if it happened.....cool.

I extended our trip to include Oahu this fall so we can fly there first for four nights and then head to Maui for 18 nights. I have no intention of enjoying a three week trip, carry on only. So I planned the return to give us a three hour layover allowing me to recheck our one bag. Then our son joined the party late, so if I want to check two bags, my husband can help me while our son watches our small carry ons, at the gate. As Alaskan 49'er club members we can each check two free bags. At mist we eill cfevk two bags. It will save me on the flat rate box send homes that I did last year.

It is that 25 lb. limit combined with such a long vacation that prevents us from going carry on only. Plus the convenience and breezy easy feeling of only one carry on under the seat is awesome. Please let us know how it went for your trip. We come home this Oct. 12th. Deb

Can you give yourself more time on the layover? I will make sure to include how this worked for us in my trip report. We saved over $600 by not including the HA AIR on our reservation code and booking separate. And we hate to go to Hawaii with a stop in PDX or Seattle. That lengthens the trip by five to six horrible hours.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

Yes, it's true HA is not checking bags through to other airlines (or vise-versa) unless it's all on one itinerary. Baggage claim is outside security and you will have to pass through security again to board. Two hours should be plenty of time providing the flight(s) are on time. The 25 pound carry-on limit is also the reason we're going to check a bag, last thing I want is hassle just before boarding.

3Chihuahuas

4. Re: Hawaiian Air to Alaska air.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:18