We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon

Hello all!

My fiancé and I are throwing around the idea of honeymooning in Hawaii. I have never been to any of the Islands but my Fiancé has. We don’t really have a preference of which island we stay on. What we really want is a very nice romantic hotel (obviously). Our budget is very flexible but we are looking for a five star location. I know this is a very broad question I would just like some assistance :)

I look forward to your comments/ assistance!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon

Shawna -- welcome to TripAdvisor! You are right about a "very broad" question ... so could you help us help you ...

+ When do you plan to travel?

+ How many nights will you be in Hawaii?

+ What would your nightly accomodations budget look like?

+ Are you cool with renting a car?

+ What draws you to Hawaii? Anything specific?

Pick up a copy of "Hawaii for Dummies," A highly-regarded travel guide that we recommend frequently. It covers all the Islands, so you'll get a good overview of your options ... which is what you need right now. You'll be amazed!

Pick up a good map of the Hawaiian Islands as well. Pull up www.gohawaii.com. Beware that it is terribly commercial - but helpful for first-timers.

In short - Hawaii is a great place for a honeymoon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon

Ugh..yes I totally forgot to add those essential details…

We are planning on travelling in August ( we are getting married on 8/2/14). The length of our stay will probably be 7-10 days. Per night stay $850 but we could do more, possibly. Well we had friends who honeymooned there last year and they LOVED it and so we’ve been poking around looking for something that we struck our fancy. I originally wanted to go to Bora Bora but alas it was a little to much for us. We also are looking into Fiji

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon

Always count your nights, not your days.

You have a healthy budget - that's good!

You have plenty of time to plan - smart thinking on your part! One recommendation, though ... consider waiting until after Labor Day to honeymoon. Kids will be back in school. In early August, you will be at the height of tourist season. It's not a deal-breaker, but if you have some flexibility to wait a little before traveling - do it.

As a rule, we recommend at least 5 nights per Island ... so if you can squeeze out 10 nights ... perhaps Kauai and Oahu would be perfect for you. All the Islands are great ... but at this point, you need to see what each has to offer.

Stay in touch, and we can guide you through the process.

Betty Lou

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon

I agree with BLBL - you could do 2 islands, though I would probably do 3/7, but it really depends what islands you want. Kauai's north shore would be more like Tahiti if that is what you are envisioning.

What type of lodging - are you wanting a resort? hotel? private cottage/house?

Once you decide on your island(s), I would post back on those specific islands for help with your lodging, car rentals, etc. Happy planning - Hawaii is a fabulous honeymoon destination! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon

I agree with coalminer that the north shore of Kaua'i, at least topographically, more closely resembles what you'd see on Bora Bora (sigh......), but the comparison stops there. So if I were in your shoes, with budget not a concern, I'd plan 5 - 7 nights at Four Seasons at Hualalai (Big Island) and 3 nights at either Four Seasons Manele Bay (Lana'i) or Travaasa (Maui).

Where did your friends stay?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon

I agree with thrumylens' suggestion. The best hotel in the state and one of the best in the world is Hualalai and it's a truly great location (although not at all like Bora Bora), very Hawaiiana and quiet shoreline area, lots of cultural activities, fantastic restaurants. A good base for exploring the Kohala Coast beaches a few minutes north. Combining a Hualalai stay with a few nights in Hana or on Lanai would be a lovely trip.

A note on Tahiti though, when you say "too much" do you mean distance or price? Because I've stayed at several top shelf Tahiti resorts that were quite a bit less than or at your budget. Le Tahaa is fantastic, Kia Ora Sauvage, even the FS Bora Bora which was as stunning a hotel as I've ever seen had a deal which got us in an OWB for less than $1000/nt. Moorea Pearl is a very good value at something like half that. I'm not as big of a fan of Fiji. Anyway, PM me if you do want some guidance re French Polynesia. Its big advantage over Hawaii is the snorkeling and diving and I think in general more interesting lodging and food. Hawaii of course is closer and has more accessible cultural experiences and history.

7. Re: Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 07:18