We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip itinerary - thoughts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First trip itinerary - thoughts?

Hello fellow travelers!

Planning a trip to Hawaii in October end with my husband. So we get a bit of city life, plus resort and island feel, here's what I'm planning. Would love to hear your thoughts about whether this sounds like a good plan.

To tell you a bit about us: We reside in Sydney and are keen to explore Hawaii. We love lazing around on gorgeous beaches, staying in hotels/ resorts with a good pool and swim up or a beach bar. We like exploring the location and getting a feel of the culture. We are beginner divers and like snorkeling.

So here's what I'm thinking:

- Land in Honolulu and spend 3 nights in Waikiki (explore Oahu and the city night life)

- 4 nights in Maui (haven't decided where yet, any suggestions welcome)

- 2 nights in Ko Olina (so we are close to the Outlet Shopping mall)

- Return to Sydney

I'd love to spend more time in the fabulous Hawaii but budget and insufficient leave from work won't allow me. Does this sound like a good itinerary for a first trip?

Thanks in advance!!

MSN

Edited: 21 August 2013, 06:56
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

I would think about flying straight to Maui when you get to Honolulu for 5 nights, then ending with 4 nights on Oahu, that way you won't have to split your time up on Oahu, and I'd just stay in Waikiki the whole time on Oahu. Are you planning to rent a car on both islands? You will need one on Maui, and you may want one on Oahu too for more freedom to drive to the North Shore one day and to go shopping.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

Thank you orchid. That's a great suggestion. Will surely take it on board.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

While I love Maui, for such a short trip, stick to Oahu! You lose at least a half a day of vacation time with all the transfers and TSA lines flying between islands!

FYI the outlet malls are closer to Waikiki than Ko'Olina! If you want a change spend the bulk of your time on Waikiki and a few days up at Turtle Bay for a change of pace,

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

I agree with Orchid - fly on to Maui when you arrive. Don't split your stay on Oahu.

And don't stay in Ko'Olina! Ack! There is ZERO shopping there ... and you are not any closer to the Waikele Outlets than you would be in Honolulu. And it would be a zillion times easier to get to the Waikele Outlets from Honolulu.

Just a note that the Waikele Outlets are small compared to most in the US. Have you looked up their website? If there was a favorite designer with a shop there, I "might" consider a trip, but overall the shopping is MUCH better in Honolulu - Ala Moana (shopping) Center, Ward Center, Waikiki, etc.

We'd be happy to recommend some cultural sites on Oahu and Maui.

I would be tempted to spend the entire trip on Oahu ... but the snorkeling and diving would be much better on Maui. But both Maui and Oahu have so much to see and do ... it could fill a month!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

"FYI the outlet malls are closer to Waikiki than Ko'Olina!"

Waikele Outlets is about 9 miles from Ko'Olina.

Waikiki Outlets is about 17 miles from Waikiki.

For the OP:

I do agree with the others to stay in Waikiki. Saving 8 miles just to be nearer to Waikele Outlets is insignificant. Almost all of Oahu's attractions are in or near Honolulu.

hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/I-3_I-4…

Click on Zoom In at the top. Then click & drag the map.

Go to the Top Questions on the Oahu forum. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

You can take Driving tour #2 and stop at Waikkele Outlets toward the end of the tour.

Instead of taking H-1 East to Honolulu, take H-1 West toward Waianae.

Take the first exit off H-1 West (Exit 7), then stay to the right. Waikele Outlets and Waikele Center are just off the highway. They are across the street from each other.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

Well, you can easily get a shuttle to Waikele from Waikiki. Same cannot be said from Ko'Olina.

7. Re: First trip itinerary - thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:23