We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location for vacation rental on big island?

PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Location for vacation rental on big island?

Hi All,

I'm only just beginning to plan a trip for next June to Hawaii and I am unsure where to start! We know we would probably like to stay on the Big Island and it would be preferable to rent a vacation home versus staying at a resort.

What I'm not sure about is where the 'best' location on the island may be for us. I've looked at several different areas and obviously see some very different prices ranging from $200/night to $2.000/night. We're definitely in the lower end of that price range :( I'd like to find something for no more than $400/night.

Requirements for location are really only to be near a beach (within a few minutes) and within driving distance of a few major attractions. We love hiking and just want to be able to get out and explore the island.

We'll be cooking in most of the time due to our family's food allergies, so restaurants are really of little concern. The main priority would be having access to fresh fish, fruits and veggies and it doesn't sound like that should be a problem anywhere on the island!

So any suggestions on specific locations to look at for a rental house? Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,600 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location for vacation rental on big island?

If you are going to the Big Island, you should repost directly on that forum - the Island of Hawaii forum.

How long do you have for this vacation? Size of family and ages may help others in making recommendations to you. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location for vacation rental on big island?

I might recommend the Mauna Lani area as there are private home options and you will access to what the area has to offer in the way of shops, great beaches and snorkeling but in a private home you will not feel the condo complex resortiness of a condo.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 17:55
PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location for vacation rental on big island?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will repost on the Island of Hawaii forum :)

4. Re: Location for vacation rental on big island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:20