We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long was your flight?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How long was your flight?

I was wondering how much time you spend on traveling to Hawaii. On the way up there the first flight will take almost 11 hours. Then we have about two hours to catch another plane and be in the plane for almost 6 hours again.

On the way back we will first travel about 5 hours and then wait something like 7 hours to catch another plane which will take 9 and a half hour.

When we flight back we will go 12 hours forward in time...and then I will have 3 days to heal from the jetleg before working. I better be worth it :P

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long was your flight?

Well, Californians have it easy. About 5-1/2 hours. Shorter when flying east (toward California) because of the wind patterns. And you don't have to fly from a mega-airport like San Francisco or LA. The relatively smaller airports have direct flights as well.

Flying from Las Vegas, Phoenix, Seattle or Portland are likewise easy - but the flight is a little longer.

I'm heading to Europe at least once next year ... and am already dreading the flight. Will probably stop on the East Coast of the US to see family and break up the time.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 17:30
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long was your flight?

From northeastern Brazil, last January: 3 1/2 hours to Rio, 10 hours to Charlotte, 5-6 to SFO, and another 5 to Maui. Got to OGG about 5 pm and were awake enough to eat dinner and stroll a bit. Of course, it helped that we had flown international biz class and first class for all but the first flight. Then flew to Kona, then to Portland, Oregon, and onward.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 17:38
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long was your flight?

Sorry about all your long connections! We fly Chicago-Maui every winter, buying coach and using miles to upgrade to first. I look for one long leg on a widebody (767, 330, etc.) plus any short hops on each end. It's still 10 - 12 hours 'in transit'. Yes, we think it's 'worth it'! Hope you will too.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long was your flight?

From Detroit, 2 hours to Atanta then 9 hours direct and like Chisue, we upgrade to the front of the plane which allows us to sleep better on the flight back.

5. Re: How long was your flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:18