We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radiation

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Radiation

Hi everyone,

This is our first trip to Hawaii,and my sister in law was worried about radiation levels from Japan--apparently Fukushima is still leaking radiation into the water. I don't know how credible this is but to me it's at least plausible. Does anyone have any information about hawaii and radiation levels?

Thanks and happy travels

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radiation

This is a question that was asked right after the disaster. Haven't heard much since. If you are worried, don't get into the water or eat fish. We that live here haven't given it much thought. No one "in the know" like government officials have said anything about radiation levels being any higher because of this. I've been in the water tons of times and am not glowing in the dark yet!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,933 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radiation

There have been some pieces of debris washed up here (though we got them after the mainland west coast). They have been tested and no abnormal amounts of radiation were found. The State government has been quite open about it, and reported the independent test results the few times (maybe four or five) something **appears** to have come from Japan.

The ocean currents circle upwards, past Hawaii by thousands of miles--and hit the West and Northwest coasts first. Eventually they circle back down and around to Hawaii.

So, if anyone is gonna glow..........we need to watch Californians, Oregonians, Alaskans, and Washingtonians. They'll be glowing looooong before we will.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radiation

Thank you for the open and non degrading replies, I really appreciate it. I did read that there was a higher risk of certain birth defects and cancers to people in California/the pacific NW in general. I'm not too worried about it and it could definitely all be conspiracy--just figured I'd ask first to see what the general consensus was. I'm really looking forward to the trip, so many people aspire to go to Hawaii and we'll be there for our honeymoon. Thanks again and God bless.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:34
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,933 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radiation

You're welcome. Have a great honeymoon!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radiation

I just work up this morning and read that article about additional waste being leaked into the ocean. I am traveling to Maui this November and it's making me nervous now too! I have been looking for info on the Internet but can't seem to find many recent articles. I'm afraid about having to cancel this trip. Hopefully more info pops up with information!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radiation

Jenna hopefully the post about the currents helps you feel better. If this were a huge issue I think you would hear a lot about it and Hawaii tourism would be hurting!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Radiation

We're WAY south of Japan, and the ocean currents from there tend to run west. Nothing to worry about here.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,820 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Radiation

I suspect you'll get more radiation during your flight than you could from the reactor disaster.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radiation

Thank you Konagirl!

Yes, made me feel a bit better. Freaked me out for a while!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radiation

Thanks everyone for your responses!