We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help, I have no idea!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help, I have no idea!

Hi all, sorry, this has probably been asked a million times before, but I can't find any recent posts on it.

We were going to do the 7 night cruise around the Islands of Hawaii, but it's booked up now, so we want to go to Waikiki as a base, and stay a few nights on Maui and a few of the other islands, to see volcano's etc. Is there any other way of seeing the islands besides flying? Ive heard that you used to be able to go via boat, but have also heard that that's not possible now, other than the big cruise liner, 'Pride of America'.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,761 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help, I have no idea!

Flying is only way.

How many days are you planning? You need to go at least 8 nights to go to two islands in my opinion. Only island with an active volcano is the Big Island of Hawaii and its hard to really see any lava flows there without a helicopter flight.

You will actually be able to see more of Hawaii and get the real feel by going to a couple of islands and staying there than you would be able to on the cruise.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help, I have no idea!

How many nights do you have? Going from island to island is a pain...it means flying and you have just as much security, etc as you have with any flight. eats up time.

Figure four nights per island or so.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help, I have no idea!

One week = One island. Ten nights = Two islands. Two weeks = Three islands unless one is Big Island, or you only want to fly in and out of Hilo to see the volcano.

Each flight will cost about $100 pp one way and will 'eat' about half a day out of your vacation. You need a rental car everywhere except within Honolulu. Most flights to Australia leave in the early morning, meaning you need to be in Honolulu the night before departure.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,905 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help, I have no idea!

<<We were going to do the 7 night cruise around the Islands of Hawaii, but it's booked up now>> Dodged that bullet! Sorry ... it's not a good way to see the Islands.

Here's the bottom line - you can only fly between the major Islands and transitioning between them will easily consume 1/2 day - with each hop. You'll be losing WAY too much time in airports, standing in rental car lines, checking in and out of hotels. And you'll never be able to settle in and enjoy.

We fully understand how difficult (heart-breaking?) it is to choose an Island. We field questions constantly about making the tough choices. But - as a reasonable minimum you'll need five nights on each Island and more if you want to see all of the Big Island.

When do you plan to come? How many nights will you have?

Understand that you will need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu. Most of Oahu is rural, so you should rent a car for a couple days at least to explore.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 17:45
5. Re: Please help, I have no idea!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:19