We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Hello,

I am looking for your help - we are a gay couple looking to go to Hawaii for 2 weeks for the first time. We like to relax, go to secluded beaches, hiking, shopping and we also want to party at least a few nights. We also want to see as much as possible - Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hawaii. Any recommendations on where to first land, which islands to go to in which order and how many days to spend on each? Is 4 islands in 2 weeks too ambitious? If so, which would you focus on based on who we are and what we like?

Any and all comments appreciated - thank you very much for your time!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

I should mention that we are going over Christmas and New Years!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Okay - you really wouldn't want to do more than 2 islands in 2 weeks, otherwise you will just be seeing more of the airports than anything. Also, do realize that coming during the Christmas holidays, you are coming at the busiest and most expensive time of year. Do you already have your primary flights booked? You will need to decide what islands you want to stay on and find lodging soon - many people book their Christmas vacations a year in advance, I kid you not.

If you want nightlife and shopping, you will want Oahu and possibly Maui - Kauai and the Big Island are very rural. You will also need a rental car on each island, except if you only want to stay/see Waikiki and Honolulu on Oahu, as there is good public transportation there.

So pick your islands and then I would post on those specific island forums for help with your lodging, activities, etc. Do list your budget so folks can give you specific recommendations. You will also need to reserve your cars after you book your flights/lodging - car rental companies run out that time of year. Good luck! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Yikes! This Christmas and New Years? You do need to understand that this is a busy and expensive time. A lot of people plan their holiday trips a year in advance. Yes it is too ambitious especially during the holiday time. Usually it is suggested that you do one island a week. Cars sell out at Christmas so those should be booked ASAP and if you wanted a condo, most require a 2 week stay at the holiday time so hotels would be your best bet maybe but expensive. I think you need to narrow down your islands and then come back for more advice. Every time you switch islands you have to do the whole security thing and will be very busy for small airports.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

With only 2 weeks limit yourself to 2 islands...look at Maui and Oahu (Waikiki).

If you are talking about 2013 you really need to get busy! This is the busiest and most expensive time to travel to the islands. Availability may be a big factor in which island/s you choose.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Echo! Lol

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

I am of the opinion that if you have 2 weeks, you can easily go to at least 3 islands. We did 2 islands in 10 days our first time and it was wonderful.

Oahu is very gay friendly, you will have a lot of fun!! The other islands I would pick would be the south end of Kauai and Maui.

If you are active, like to be on the go type people this would work. If you just want to relax and take it all in, 2 would be fine also.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

Thank you everyone - the more I read the more I am thinking of leaving out the big island. As well, I am quickly realizing how expensive it is to rent a car on the islands!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,600 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

You're coming at THE most expensive time, so cars and lodgings are going to be expensive. They're usually not that bad.

Given what you're looking for, I'd recommend O`ahu and Maui. The Big Island really has to be considered two islands by itself, as you need to split between east and west sides to really see it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

In winter I'd look south on Kauai and Oahu. On Maui you'd be fine from Kahana on south. Napili and Kapalua can still be nice, but winter is rainy season. Hana will be getting wet too. Big Island would not present any weather problems, but you'd need more nights there, and most people stay in both the sunnier Kohala area (NW) and at Volcano (SE). Can be wet around Hilo then.

Nightlife -- Honolulu on Oahu and Lahaina/Kaanapali and Kihei on Maui. Really very little anywhere else.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,619 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Looking for suggestions for Hawaii for 14 days!

I also agree with three islands.

If I was going to one island, I'd spend a week.

But for a second and third island, you don't need to do the same things. Pick one island for a luau. Pick one island for a helicopter tour. Pick one or two islands for snorkeling. Pick Maui for a whale watch tour. Etc.

Others are also correct in that if you want private lodging, most are already booked or want two weeks minimum.

Car rentals will be at premium price and you need to decide soon & make reservations for air, lodging & car rental.