We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know??

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Does anyone know??

I'm in Sydney and leaving to Hawaii and Orlando next week. I have heaps of US dollars already but instead of carrying all this cash I thought I'd deposit most of it into a travel card BUT apparently you can only deposit Australian dollars and then have them convert to US$. That SUCKS!!! I already have US$, why should I lose out TWICE!!! Does anyone have any ideas/info for me?? Am I stuck with carrying thousands of dollars physically on me? Does anyone know of a card that I can purchase here in Sydney and deposit US$ into it?! Worst case scenario, does anyone know of a card I can purchase in Hawaii and deposit my cash into it there and use the card from then on?

Cheers guys, any info will be appreciated

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,075 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know??

I don't know how much you might be talking about, but I'm like you and would not want to carry thousands of dollars around with me either.

Maybe not the best solution, but if nothing else, maybe you could go to a bank in Hawaii and buy traveler's checks with it. You will have to pay a fee I'm sure but nothing like a conversion rate. At least that way, you have some security with it.

And, if it's really a big amount of cash and / or traveler's checks, I suggest that you put it in a hotel safe deposit box once you arrive and not in an in-room safe. I would just feel better about the security there.

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know??

Thanks for the reply Placebets.

That's a good idea to just grab travellers checks at the first opportunity as a last resort. I'd much rather a small fee for the peace of mind. It's over 10 thousand in cash. It might not sound like that much to some people but our holiday would be ruined if something happened to it.

The other thing I'm thinking is if you or anybody else on here knows of any actual banks in honolulul that offer prepaid Visa cards??

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know??

Can you open a US dollar bank account and have an ATM card for it? I don't know about Australia but in Canada at my bank I can open a US dollar account and get a US credit card with it.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know??

I think Walmart sells Visa cards that you put money onto. I would use one of those before I used traveller's checks.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know??

Be advised that in the US, transactions of 10,000 or more with cash require some paperwork........banks are required to have you complete some forms for reporting to our Internal Revenue Service. The laws were put into place many years ago to try and track drug dealers. Coming from AUS and exchanging more than 10K could result in some unpleasantness......

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know??

Also even coming into the country i think you might have to declare it which might slow you down.

7. Re: Does anyone know??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25