We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

Hello,

My husband and I are planning our trip to Hawaii for this January and we have some questions about flying vs. taking the ferry. We haven't exactly planned out our trip yet but for sure we are thinking about visiting Maui and the Big Island. Does anyone have any pointers on travelling from one place to another? Obviously flying would save time but what about money?

Thanks

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

There are no ferries, except between Maui and Lana'i, and Maui and Moloka'i.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,652 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

You'll fly. Hawaiian Airlines is the best bet -- fares are about $100 pp one way.

January is High Season. Get busy reserving your rental car and lodging! There will be lots of snowbirds in Hawaii all winter -- even more on Maui during Whale Season. Maui and Big Island are good choices in winter -- provided you have plenty of time for two islands. Two weeks would be good.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

Flying is your best ...and only option.

Looking for cheap can work against you...if it encourages you to book anything other than Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines is No 1 for Safety, comfort, on-time performance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

Oh Yes my apoligies, I meant travelling from Maui to Lana'i and not the Big Island.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

Are you planning on staying on Lana'i, or just going over for the day?

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

We are planning to stay a few days.... I know that it's a small island....Is that not recommended?

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

No, I just wanted to know so I could try to help you better!

If you haven't scheduled your flights yet-you might see if you can put Lana'i at the end-fly home from there (it will be a connection either at OGG or HNL). That way, you would only pay "one way" versus doing a roundtrip ticket to return to Maui and then fly out on a separate ticket. The flights for Lana'i leave from OGG, so you would be able to drop your rental car easily too.

The ferry does allow luggage, but if you don't go home from Lana'i--you will have to arrange parking in Lahaina for the days you are gone, or return the car on the West side (which may cost you a drop fee). Of course, if you return the car-then you'll have to get a shuttle to OGG on your return, to fly home.

8. Re: Travelling from island to island - Flying vs. Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:33