We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the US

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in the US

Hi,

I live in Sydney, Australia and I'm currently starting to plan my honeymoon to the US. I want to do Maui for 3 nights, Waikiki for 3-4 nights, New York for 6-7 nights and then finish up in Vegas for about 4 nights.

I'm thinking Hawaiian airlines would be a good option and am currently trying to book flights in the most cost effective way.

1. I have heard from people that when they booked a flight from Sydney to Honolulu, they also had the option of booking a flight to Maui for a very low price, for instance $20. But I cant find this, does anyone know how to get these rates?

2. Would it be cheaper for me to book a flight to say New York with a flight that HAS to stopover in Hawaii? but then how do I extend the stopover so that I get to spend time in Hawaii?

I need tips on how to do this economically. I understand that it won't be cheap but I don't want to be spending more than what's necessary.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
New York
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in the US

When are you planning to do this honeymoon? I think I would go to NY first, then Vegas and then Hawaii - would surely be more relaxing that way. I would also add a few more days to Maui. :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in the US

Kiddo, I'm going to be completely honest here...this would not be an enjoyable honeymoon at all!

All you will remember is jet-lag, lots of sleeping, and airports! It looks like you have under 3 weeks for this trip.

Do you realize that it is a 10 hour flight to NY from Hawaii? At least 5 from NY to Vegas and that does not include the 2 hours in the airports before boarding. Also keep in mind the long flights to and from Australia!

With 3 weeks you could do 2 or 3 islands in Hawaii OR visit NY and Vegas on the Mainland. Please do not try to do it all!

$20 interisland flights went the way of the doo-doo bird years ago, now they are $75-$100 each way.

Please rethink this plan! I would like you to remember the USA!

Mentioned in this post
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in the US

I personally feel it would be exhausting, but I will assume you are young and have endless energy.

I am no expert on the routes from AUS to USA, so would the return route through LAX and then direct to SYD?

Or would it work to stop in Hawaii coming and going?

Airlines have varying rules, and they are listed on the airline site. They typically allow either one stopover or one open jaw on a round trip fare. You do not need to count the inter-island if you don't book it as all one itinerary, which would make all of Hawaii one stopover. However, you have two stopovers with Hawaii out bound and Vegas on the return, so you may not be able to book this as a round trip, unless Hawaiian allows two stopovers.

You could for example book a round trip to Hawaii on one itinerary, returning home from HNL or from OGG if the flights do that. Then you could book a RT from Hawaii to NYC, with a return stopover in Vegas.

Or you can book one way flights... But you need to figure out the restrictions for the airline, and those are easy to look up.

If you plan to shop in Hawaii at all, I would probably do Maui on the outbound and Waikiki on the return. Maui is a good start for a honeymoon. But I think the time there is too short and NYC is too long. I would pay not to go to Vegas, so I can't really say, but I would think a night on Maui is more romantic than one in Vegas to a lot of people.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 02:34
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in the US

What about if I do 4 nights in Vegas first, then six nights in new York then fly 10 hours and do 6-7 nights in Waikiki? Then we can relax at the end and only have a 9-10 hour flight back to Sydney. Or is it still too busy?

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in the US

I would also do NY first, then Vegas, then Hawaii and I would allocate a lot more time to Hawaii than the other two. That's just my personal preference though. I was not a big fan of NY and I have no desire to go to Vegas. Hawaii is gorgeous and there's tons of things to do and see. I think I you would regret not having more time there.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Level Contributor
24,835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in the US

Jo_ann49 - I think your last itinerary is doable and you would enjoy. Honestly I can not imagine spending six nights in New York unless you are planning on going to lots of Broadway shows, eating at expensive restaurants and doing lots of shopping.

Is there something specific you are want to see or do in New York, or is it "just seems like the thing to do" type of thing because you are going to the U.S. and want to say you went there? In my opinion, it's a lot of extra travel and expense, and you can get pretty much the same shopping and restaurants in Vegas and Hawaii. New York is very expensive, probably more expensive than Waikiki.

Unless you are just set on going to New York, I would reconsider and maybe somewhere else that is not as far, such as San Francisco, or San Diego. But if you really want to go, the do it. I just think 6 days is too much there. And, 4 days is plenty in Las Vegas as well.

If you want to go to 2 islands, maybe go to Maui for a few days, the Las Vegas, then back to Waikiki.

Just some things to think about, but you should definitely do what you want to do. We all have our own experiences and you might think New York is the best place you have ever been. So take these inputs and then decide what you and your fiancée want to do and have a ball.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in the US

I think I like some of placebets suggestions - if you really want a big city, how about San Francisco or Los Angeles? I guess I always think that honeymoons should be relaxing, and it just all sounds too busy & too much traveling. I would only stay in Vegas 3 days - and try for more time in Hawaii. :) Of course, that is me - I don't really care for big cities much - and the beauty of Hawaii would always win out over those other destinations. :)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in the US

What time of year is your honeymoon?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in the US

Honeymoon will be from 3 March till 20 March. I've been to new York and Vegas before and quite enjoyed them. Last time I was in new York it was for four nights and I feel like I was rushed cost there was so much to do so I wanna go again and take my time. My fiancé hasn't been to either and we both haven't been to Hawaii. I really really wanted to go to Hawaii and he really wanted to go to the other two places. Plus I never went to the grand canyon. We understand it will be cold but we thought it might be a good opportunity to see some places that we really want to go to together.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in the US

Ah - you didn't mention the Grand Canyon - that would be a wonderful experience! Totally different than Vegas. :)

Mentioned in this post