We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Hi All,

We are a family of four traveling with another family of four to Hawaii for 14 days from mid to end December. We have 4 kids with us ages 6-10. We want to visit the Big Island, Maui and Kuaui. Could you please suggest an itinerary and any must dos. I have been reading up and it all looks very confusing and a lot to process. Any suggestions on villas/B&BS and hotels/resorts that are good. We are not too much into water sports. We will probably do a boat trip that includes snorkeling/ whale watching and maybe small island hopping. We love scenic places but cannot do much hiking (short walks are fine) because of the kids.

Also, what is the best way - on the Big Island we were thinking of staying at one of the mega resorts for maybe 2-3 days then at a villa type place on the Hilo side for another 2-3 days then move on to either Maui or Kauai. How many days in each of the islands is good?

Thanks so much!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Actually, it is a good rule of thumb of one week per island, and even more time for the Big island. You could do two smaller islands, but coming at Christmas time, you really need to get things booked soon - many folks book a year in advance. I think I would pick Maui & Kauai but you need to decide that. I would choose 1 or 2 islands and then post on those specific forums for help with your lodging and activities. Do list your nightly budget if you would like specific recommendations - happy planning! :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

14 days, two islands. Interisland flights will eat up almost a half day for each hop. As coal says, you need to act quickly. Your lodging choices are going to be somewhat limited at this point, and you need to reserve your car(s) ASAP, as they're known to run out at Christmas time.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Maui would be a good island for your whale watching. I always recommend the boat Kaulana (from Lahaina Harbor) for families with kids. It's a large stable catamaran with lots of rail space for viewing. It also has a large deck and a cabin with tables if the young'uns need some down time.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Two islands. With kids that age, given your interests and the time of year, I'd go with Maui and Kauai or Oahu and Maui. You are very late to plan, as noted many people book Christmas a year or more in advance. Lodging and rental cars will be limited and expensive so I'd get on that right away.

I would also go with a condo instead of a hotel or b&b.

Incidentally, there's really nothing on the Big Island I'd call a "mega resort" except the Hilton. There's also really no "small island hopping" although you can take a ferry or boat tour to Lanai from Maui.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

We are thinking of the Big Island for sure. Which other do you think is a must see? Maui or Kauai? How many days in each?

Thanks!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Why is the Big a Island a must do for you? While of course it's my favorite island, where it really shines is in ocean sports, which you say are not a priority. It has great hiking, in VNP and north Hawaii, but that also is something that you are not particularly interested in.

As it's as big as all the other islands combined, it really needs to be thought of almost as two islands. It would not be uncalled for to spend all two weeks here, especially given the number of people traveling and the distance. You could certainly combine it with any of the other three majors, but I would recommend no more than 4-5 nights on one of the smaller ones, and the remaining time on the BI split approximately 75/25 between west and east.

But just on the face of it, it doesn't seem like the best island for you, so I'd be interested to know why it draws you.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

Those are good points. I think for us the biggest draw is the volcano and lava flow. And it seems to have it all - good waterfalls, beaches, snorkeling, whale watching.

But you have certainly got me thinking! We could do just Maui and Kauai...

8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 15:20
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a 14 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21