We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island for helicopter tour?

OTR
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which island for helicopter tour?

We are coming to Hawaii for almost 5 weeks in February visiting the four larger islands. I have always wanted to do a helicopter ride and am wondering which island would be the best for viewing by helicopter? We would be especially interested in volcano viewing.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

For volcano viewing you would want the Big Island of Hawaii, but cross your fingers because there may or may not be any visible lava while you are there.

Kauai would be a #1 rec since most of the island is inaccessable by car and is a spectacular island.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

Kauai would be my first choice. The island is so vertical that you can only see many parts of it from the air. (And you may find seas too rough in February to do so from a boat.)

If you are staying Kona-side on Big Island and not also staying SE, you could still see the volcano from the air on a tour out of KOA. (There are also tours out of ITO.)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

Yep - Kauai or the Big island. :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

It's extremely difficult to make a bad decision when deciding on Hawaii helo tours; my wife and I have taken 20+, over all the Islands, and it never gets old.

We've found the most productive approach is to refer friends to YouTube videos.

Here is the all-Island index page, of clips exceeding 20 minutes, that you may find helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hawaii+helicopter+tours&filters=year%2C+long&lclk=long

As far as companies are concerned, Sunshine's first class seating is our favorite (they offer the same chopper as Blue Hawaiian's Eco Star) with guaranteed front row seating. At the other end of the excitement spectrum, the doors-off "Magnum PI" type of helicopter is a real hoot. Several companies on Kauai have doors -off and on neighbor Islands, Paradise/Tropical and Alex Air are excellent choices.

We'll also be in Hawaii in February, but for only three weeks; 5 weeks sounds like a dream! For starters, I'd recommend Sunshine, out of Princeville on Kauai, The Big Island (from Hilo; Tropical doors off), Maui-Molokai (or Maui Haleakela) and the full tour of Oahu (highly underated, but spectacular coastline)...so much fun spending other folks money!

Oops: try this link to YouTube- http://tinyurl.com/p8sq8ru

Edited: 05 October 2013, 21:47
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

BeachesMountains -- Wow! Where else can people come and get this kind of service?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

My wife does helicopters. I don't. Her favorite is Kauai. We have never stayed in Hilo so have not done volcano tour. We priced helicopter tour of volcano from Kona, very expensive. They said they had to refuel. Instead she took fixed wing flight to circle island. I went with her. good way to see island in two hours. Though helicopters were below us as we flew over lava flow.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

Kauai would be my pick for the absolutely stunning scenery....so lush...the Napali coast and the unique Waimea Canyon...

I agree, the Heli tour out of Kona area wouldn't be ideal , if the focus was on VNP. ....very pricey. Perhaps you will have a few days on the East side if you do decide to opt for the tour there.

Lots of options to fill up that 5 week visit.

8. Re: Which island for helicopter tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:20