We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interisland Travel

BC
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Interisland Travel

We are planning a trip to Hawaii in May 2014. We don't have a ton of time, but would like to hit 2 islands on our trip. My question is, what options do I have for inter island travel? Ideally I am thinking sailing trip from Maui to the big island would be awesome. Maybe a 2 night adventure...there will be 4 adults. Im wondering if anyone would know of any companies that offer overnight sailing charters, or what the cost would be for something like that if anyone has done it. I know airfare is cheap, but its not much of an adventure, but it might be the way to go in the end. Just exploring options. Float plane would be my 2nd choice. So if anyone knows of any float plane companies to recommend that would be great as well.

Mentioned in this post
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interisland Travel

First, how much time do you have? If less than a bare minimum of 9 nights, you don't have time for 2 islands.

mauiboattrips.com/private-boat-charters/

hawaiisailingadventures.com/…

http://www.islandseaplane.com/

You can Google "charter sailboat hawaii" and get lots of hits.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interisland Travel

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a floatplane in Hawaii, thinking it might be a bit dangerous with the ocean waves.

If you have the bucks you can probably find an operator for a private boat but I can't imagine how much it would be and the channel between Maui and BI is a pretty tough passage.

Island hopping in Hawaii is pretty plebian, involving all the TSA lines and waiting rooms we face on the mainland...lots of lost vacation hours. Really not advised for a stay shorter than 10-12 days

Mentioned in this post
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interisland Travel

I don't think inter-island airfare is cheap...the days of $19.99 each way flights are longggggg gone. We paid $61.00 each to get to LIH from HNL and that was a bargain......

I've never seen a float plane either...but if you're willing to pay, probably most anything is available.....

Mentioned in this post
BC
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Interisland Travel

$61 is cheap.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interisland Travel

Try to travel interisland frequently, and you'll stop thinking that $61 is cheap. Bear in mind that it would $61 each way.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,920 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interisland Travel

Aloha,

If you do fly, everyone likes Hawaiian Air.

Great service and on-time record.

Have a great time.

Aloha

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Interisland Travel

One week = One island. Ten nights = Two islands. Two weeks = Three islands, unless one is Big Island, and you want to have sun (NW) and volcano (SE).

Most first-time visitors with at least ten nights like some time on Oahu -- to see historic sites and drive along the east and north shores of this typically tropical island.

You can ferry between Maui and Lanai (and Molokai).

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
LA
Level Contributor
11,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Interisland Travel

Your only realistic option is to fly.

All the charter boats mentioned above only operate in Maui waters. They do not cross the 30 mile wide Alenuihaha Channel that separates Maui from Hawaii. That is serious rough water and not amenable to commute type vessels.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Interisland Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:19