We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

We are a family of four traveling to the Hawaiian Islands for the first time this summer, with our 2 teens daughters, age 16,18. We will have limited time (about 5 or 6 nights) and have chosen to visit only one island.

We are interested in: stunning and interesting sights, mix of nature and tourist attractions, upscale resort with activities and luau, great hotel pool.

We are not as interested in: nightlife, snorkeling, condition of beach.

Which island do you suggest? Which resort? Should we consider the Big Island at all?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,694 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Try to add a couple of days, after a very long flight 4 or 5 full days will go by in a blink! Especially when you factor in jet-lag.

With teens I would consider an upscale condo on either island, start by checking out the Honua Kai on Maui and the Kiahuna Plantation on Kauai.

There are many others but that gives you a starting point.

Either island will provide what you are looking for.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Based on your criteria I'd say Kauai. With 4-5 days you'll be driving A LOT but you can see some amazing sites....Waimea Canyon & North Shore offer some nice day hikes. There are two ok luaus. You could do a helicopter trip or take a great boat trip up the Napali coast (I'd recommend the ones of out Hanalei). Stay up in Princeville

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Coming during the summer, I would pick the northshore of Kauai hands down!! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
759 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

I agree with coalminer...and specifically, I'd stay in Hanalei!

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

These are great responses---and extremely helpful! How "rural" is Kauai? Would we easily be able to find local towns with restaurants outside of the resorts? Are there major differences between Kauai and Maui?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Here on Tripadvisor - up at the right is a summary of the islands . . . also www.gohawaii.com also has basic descriptions of each island. They are all unique and different. Kauai is more rural over all than Maui, but Maui has its rural spots. Yes - lots of towns with restaurants, though Maui does have more overall - not that it would matter much since you only plan to be on any island for more than 6 days. Hanalei is gorgeous, but doesn't have any resorts, if that is what you must have. The closest is the St. Regis in Princeville.

Both islands have lovely beaches to enjoy. Scenery - Maui has Haleakala National Park and the road to Hana. Kauai has the Waimea canyon/Kokee state park and the amazing Napali coast. It is also the only island with navigable rivers. Maui has better snorkeling & diving than Kauai, but most all water sports can be enjoyed on either island. Any other things you are wondering about?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

I'm going to say Maui. There's just more to do in case they get bored of nature.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,694 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Traveling with teens does add an "edge" to the choices! Are you, as a family, big hikers? Do the girls enjoy riding in the car seeing the sights?

I really think that Maui may offer you more options.

I get a feeling that the Kaanapali area will meet what you want, condos nearby or resorts also. Easy, safe access for the girls to explore but you can get in the car and see some truly amazing scenery.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,139 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

Your post says Kauai to me. Even though it's much quieter than Maui there are plenty of towns and shops and restaurants, and nothing on Maui compares to the stunning north shore of Kauai in summer.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 03:42
Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai or Maui for family with 2 teens (ages 16,18) ???

As far as our interests go, my 18-year-old daughter would be interested in seeing beautiful and interesting landscape as an adult would, where my 16-year old daughter would like to do more activities along with the sightseeing.

Besides seeing very interesting/beautiful sights, our "activities" interest would mainly be:

Resort pool with spa (We love beautiful resort pools), luau or other entertainment, possible zipline (I've seen zipline websites for both islands), bike riding, light shopping, light hiking/walking, some type of boat ride. We are not into huge meals, so we'd like the possibility of going to an occasional restaurant for a light meal. We would, of course, rent a car to see the major sights. We also like to see areas of authentic "Hawaiian" culture rather than just the commercialized areas. We usually like to go out all day, and then stay by the hotel and relax or swim in the evenings.

Hope this helps! All the feedback has been has been wonderful!---I'm open to opinions.