We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do i need?

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
How much money do i need?

Hi if I am staying 9 days in hawaii, waikiki is US$1500 going to be enough money to eat and shop?

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
934 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do i need?

My budget for 3 people is $150 a day. We will be in Maui for 17 days so about $2700. We usually have 1 to 2 nice dinners, but mostly we eat breakfast in the condo, lunch at the beach and try to hit early bird specials. So if the budget is for 1 person, you should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do i need?

First of all, which island are you going to? My answers are based on our trips to Oahu, but might be similar for other islands.

That is a very difficult question to answer since I have seen how Australian women can shop. But, for food, tips, cocktails, etc. it will be plenty. We typically budget $100 a day for my wife and I, and we eat light meals for breakfast (usually yogurt, muffin, etc, form ABC stores), lunch is frequently a left over from dinner the night before or a sandwich from several places around Waikiki that we like, and then a nicer meal for dinner at one of the restaurants.

Stock up on snacks, beer, mai-tai mix and the like at ABC, and enjoy cocktails on the lanai of your room. Some good places on the beach for happy hours and pupu's, but some of the bars on the beach are fairly expensive if you want to have several cocktails.

Again, I would not attempt to try to give you any shopping budget because that is such an individual thing.

By the way, welcome to the forum. You can get lots of good information and suggestions here.

Hope you have a great trip.

Aloha

Edited: 22 October 2013, 15:27
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do i need?

Welcome to Trip Advisor! Only you can determine your shopping budget. It is humanly impossible for us to tell you how much money you will spend.

For food per-person on Waikiki ... it depends on where you eat - and definitely what and where you drink! Personally - I budget about $75 per day, and that's generous.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
4. Re: How much money do i need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:20