We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

Hi everyone,

I've been pulling my hair out for about a week trying to decide how to work my first Hawaii trip. It's a once in a lifetime vacation and my boyfriend's birthday.

We are both active - He loves to surf, boat and relax. I like to watersports at beautiful beaches, shop, hike and explore.

We don't have a huge budget, but we can spend a little because we found a great deal out of the USA for flights if we fly into Honolulu, out of Maui... but I know that he really loves Kauai. Plus at this late stage, we can only find the most tacky condo accommodation for our budget - Maui is expensive!

Here is my suggested itinerary, am I being too ambitious?

Thurs: Arrive into HNL about 11:30pm, stay in Waikiki

Fri: HNL

Sat: HNL (Day trip to Nth Shore)

Sun: HNL

Mon: Fly HNL to KAUAI, stay in Hanalai Bay

Tue: KAUAI

Wed: KAUAI (Hike somewhere)

Thur: KAUAI

Fri: Fly KAUAI to MAUI, stay in Lahaina

Sat: MAUI (Day trip to Hana)

Sun: MAUI

Mon: Depart MAUI, arrive in USA

Suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

10 days and 10 nights and three islands? No way would I do this trip. Not only will your travel budget take a hit from the interisland flights, but you'll lose precious vacation time checking into and out of hotels and flying interisland. I would just pick two islands, probably Oahu and Maui since that's where your flights fly into and out of.

Kauai can wait for another trip. You will be back, don't worry!

Edited: 23 October 2013, 05:59
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

You're trying to cram too much into 10 nights. Each interisland "hop" is going to eat up about a half day, which could end up being in the middle of the day depending on plane schedules. Stick with O`ahu and Maui.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

Agree, stick with Oahu and Maui for this trip. I'm counting 11 nights, but it's still too much to do 3 islands in 11 nights. Spend 6 nights Oahu, 5 nights Maui or vice versa. When are you planning this trip?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,580 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

Please don't attempt this...all you will remember is long waits in security lines and rental car companies. Choose just 2 islands max and actually enjoy the islands.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

We did something similar, it was fine. The flights are short and if you book morning flights you can still hit the beach in the afternoon. My only reservation is your Maui days seem short. Lahaina is about as far from Hana as you can get. The drive killed a whole day for us, and in our opinion wasn't worth it.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

WHEN? If winter, Hanalei will be rainy. (And yes, just do TWO islands. If you don't want buzzy Waikiki you might be able to skip Oahu, depending on flight timing. We fly Chicago-Honolulu-and on to Maui without leaving HNL.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

Bad, bad idea. Split your ten nights between TWO Islands only. The time you have ... is what you have. Cramming in another Island doesn't help or give you more. I know it's tough to choose ... we all go through the same tough decision.

As others have said, you'll kill at least a 1/2 day with each Island transition. And you will have the added costs of extra flights - on a very tight budget. Your cars will cost your more as well.

You don't want to spend your vacation in an airport. Settle in each Island for 5 nights and enjoy. Understand that you could easily spend weeks on any of those Islands - there is so much to do.

Also please tell us when you plan to go.

You'll be back. This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

It sounds like the OP has outlined a trip for 11 nights.

Agree with the others.......waaaay too much for that period of time. Recommend 2 Islands tops for best use of time and enjoyment potential.

The itinerary outlined will have a focus on Airports....and a bunch of checking out...and waiting to check-in.If budget is of concern, cutting out some of the Inter-island travel is a good place to start.

It is a common error in judgement of those planning first time "trips of a lifetime to Hawaii" to want to pack it all in......often resulting in a blur of a trip.Oddly enough these one time only trips tend to repeat themselves annually..

The OP's last day entry of :"Depart Maui, arrive in USA" is rather curious??

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

10 nights. Unless I am missing a finger? Wanderlust, I think that the OP is flying to Seattle or something ... so for her purposes, she's saying that the flight arrives in the US as opposed to Canada.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island hopper itinerary? Help a Hawaii first timer out pls!

You need another finger BL....arriving on a Thurs and departing two Mondays later is 11 nights....every time I count it........

I get the fact the OP is transiting through the Mainland USA back to Canada. ......I thought it curious to comment "Arrive US"....as if they were somehow out of the US....which Maui is not.