We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pride of America Cruise

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pride of America Cruise

Would like to know which side of the ship is best when cruising the Hawaiian Islands on Pride of America? Also is a balcony cabin worth it when most of the actual cruising is done at night? Thanks, planning first trip to Hawaii. Karen

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pride of America Cruise

Many, if not most, here don't recommend the "hit-and-run" approach to the islands of a cruise. You'll barely even get a taste of any one island.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pride of America Cruise

Sorry if not clear, was not looking for advice on whether to do the cruise or not, just the best side of the ship to see the islands from as you are cruising.

Will be spending some days in Honolulu before the cruise and also after before we come back home. Thanks, Karen

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pride of America Cruise

I've just got back from the cruise, which was a great trip. We didn't have a balcony and never felt we needed one. As you said, most cruising is done at night, and for the sail-by of the Napali coast and the Lava flow (if you're lucky) are probably best done from out on the decks anyway. We did like our picture window, but friends who had an obstructed view window were happy with that, and I did pop into our friend's inside cabin with no window, and it wasn't as claustrophobic as I thought it might be. We found deck 6 was a great viewing deck for the sail bys as there are chairs to sit on while waiting and we then pulled them up to the railing as we got closer.

Have you looked at the Cruise Critic site, some very useful information can be found there for this specific cruise, lots of reviews too.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the cruise.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pride of America Cruise

Left/Port side for Na'pali.

When they used to do the Volcano lava entry they would do both sides.

I don't know if that is still on the schedule. Some rare itineraries even did the Molokai north coast.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 23:22
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pride of America Cruise

Ask on http://www.cruisecritic.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pride of America Cruise

Either side will do for the Na Pali Coast. The ship turns around.

I know you don't want to hear it, but cruising is a lousy way to see and experience Hawaii.

Chesapeake, VA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pride of America Cruise

We have cruised twice. I think an aft balcony is the best. It really is nice to sit out on your balcony during down time, whether underway or in port.

I think cruising is a great way to get a taste of all the islands. We always do a pre-cruise stay in Honolulu.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pride of America Cruise

We have any number of friends who had their first taste of Hawaii on various cruises and have returned again and again! Go, enjoy, take notes and come back!

Really www.cruisecritic.com is a great site...you can even meet people before you go and connect with fun activities arranged by them!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pride of America Cruise

I think you are going on a Hawaii cruise the right way.

You have time on Oahu both before & after the cruise.

Can't help you with which side of the ship or type of cabin though.

Hamilton, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pride of America Cruise

As I am writing this, we are on the starboard side of the ship, which has had the best views of the coast.

Generally we've had a great time on tr ship, but wouldn't do it again.....

"Some" of the staff are polite and professional, but a lot of them walk around like they're working in a factory and hate their jobs....

Hopefully you get a cabin attendant that cleans.... Our doesn't.

The islands are wonderful, and it was the best beauty see the islands, but my overall ship experience is "ehhhhhhh"........

Good luck to you!