We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how are they driving?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
how are they driving?

First question do they drive on the right side of the road?

I've only drove in another country once. Here we are used to drive small cars so we are also planning to rent the smallest car with four doors. What are the rules for the speedlimit and are the signs making things clear?

Then how is the fuels called for the most cars? And how are the people driving? Of course we need to search for the stops but i get stressed if there will be people trying to drive fast behind me.

We are renting a car on big island and maui. At ouha we planned things where we get picked up at the hotel.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how are they driving?

Yes, right side of the road.

Speed limits are clearly posted.

Gasoline is the fuel used.

We've found almost all drivers to be considerate during our trips to Hawaii. If we see that someone is in a hurry (e.g. driving too close to us), we'll pull over when we have a chance to, in order to let them get ahead of us.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how are they driving?

Gas is sold by the gallon, which is just about 3.75 liters. Drivers in Hawai`i are generally pretty polite. It's considered rude to honk your horn; you almost never hear a horn.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how are they driving?

Try to avoid driving at night on the Big Island. There can be some crazy drivers. Otherwise driving on the Big Island is pretty easy.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how are they driving?

Remember that many on the roads are visitors just like you. Patience is a virtue.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how are they driving?

And is it easy to find your way around? I guess there aren't to many roads so you can't really get lost when you stay on the main road? Are there any lights or should we always be back by dark? Just wondering for if we want to go to a restaurant in another place or see a hula show?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how are they driving?

Im sorry does anyone knows an answer at my last question? And another one in the same category is are there many gas stations or how am I suppose to know where to find one? Thank you so much

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how are they driving?

Mara, you'll likely get more answers if you start your own thread on the individual island's forum. Where will you be? Kaua`i, Maui and the Big Island have only a few main roads. (Kaua`i really has only one.) O`ahu outside of the city of Honolulu only has a few. Driving in Honolulu isn't bad if you stay out of rush hour.

Most gas stations are in and around the populated areas. Outside of that it can get a little harder. We can give you more specifics once you let us know where you'll be.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how are they driving?

We will rent a car in Maui and Big Island

Edited: 20 November 2013, 19:57
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how are they driving?

Both Maui and the Big Island are easy to navigate. I'm not sure what you mean by how you will find gas stations. They're pretty obvious along the roads. In smaller towns there may be only one nearby.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,007 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how are they driving?

A small car is best too. The parking spots can be quite small.

Also, you must prepay for the gas before you fill up the gas tank. You can swipe your credit card at some of the gas pumps. Or else give the attendant some cash for how much you want. When you pick up the rental car, it will be full of gas already. You must refill the gas tank just before you return the car.

DO NOT sign up for the "bring the car back empty" scheme. Not worth it!

I always try to be back at the condo before dark. It is just nice to be "home" to watch the sunset. But there are times that you must drive in the dark. A lot of the main highways have reflectors.

I think you will find the gas very cheap compared to your home.