We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island for a luau?

Level Contributor
354 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Which island for a luau?

We will be between Dec 3 and Dec 16 in Hawaii (Maui - Kihei, Big Island - Kamuela/Mauna Lani and Oahu - Kailua). There are luaus on each island. We would like to reserve one that is traditional (fire dance is not a must have) with less crowds, in a nice place, with good food and entertainment and if possible not too expensive and within a half hour driving from where we stay. Any suggestions?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island for a luau?

Well, not the Big Island.

Our luʻau that met your description was at the now closed Kona Village Resort. I have to say though that while open it was certainly the most expensive. The cheap ones are going to be crowded, nature of the beast, they are popular and more of a mass market experience. I would be surprised if what you want does not put it in the expensive category.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,244 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island for a luau?

Old Lahaina Lu`au on Maui. May be somewhat more than a half hour drive, though.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island for a luau?

I agree Old Lahaina on Maui sounds like what you are looking for, it's a little further than your 30 min. (Prob about 45 minutes) but it is worth it. Book soon as you can pick your seats when you book, so if you wait you might not have as many choices for where to sit.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,977 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island for a luau?

Old Lahaina Luau ... on Maui.

Level Contributor
354 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island for a luau?

Thanks for the quick replies. I just made a reservation for Old Lahaina Luau.

6. Re: Which island for a luau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 05:17