We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

We are leaving next week for 4 weeks. We are flying to Honolulu and staying there for 3 nights and we will be flying out of Maui. In between we have no specific plans yet. I was thinking about going to the Big Island, but I was wondering if it was too much.

Here are activities that we would like to do: snorkling, kayaking, volcano sightseeing, hiking, ziplining, just plain relaxing and maybe squeeze a little bit of shopping in there.

I heard the Seven Sacred Pools are nice to see, would you recommend it?

I would like to take surfing lessons, (I have never done it before), any suggestions of where I could do that?

Thanks in advance

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

If it is in your budget, spend a week on each of the four major islands, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Island of Hawaii.

If you want to spend a day on each of Lanai & Molokai, add a day to Maui and take a day off Kauai.

Go to the Oahu forum (also Maui forum, Kauai forum and Island of Hawaii forum).

Read the Top Questions on each forum.

Use the search on each forum: trip report

Read about 15 or so on each forum.

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

Thank you for the quick reply. I will check to other forums ofr additional information.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,487 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

So - do you have car rentals booked? hotels or condos? Interisland flights? I wouldn't go without getting those booked . . . not like there is a motel 6 on every corner on the islands.

I would take surf lessons on Oahu - I have heard Waikiki is one of the best spots to do this. :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

Right now it is a low season for visitors.

Thanksgiving weekend will be a peak time for visitors. Car rental and hotel rates will be high for that weekend.

It will still be early in the season for whale watching, but as you are leaving from Maui, you'll see some whales. Maybe a whale watch tour.

Most whale watch tour companies start in mid December. Pacific Whale Foundation starts mid November.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

"We are leaving next week for 4 weeks. We are flying to Honolulu and staying there for 3 nights and we will be flying out of Maui. In between we have no specific plans yet."

...and you have no specific plans....yet you're going for 4 weeks WHERE?

New York
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

With four weeks, definitely go to BIG Island and then Maui. I would do 10 days in BI. Then relax and enjoy final time in Maui, my favorite!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,681 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

So do you have hotel/condo reservations or not? Hawaii is not a "fly-by-the-seat-of your pants" vacation destination!! You will pay exorbitant prices for acommodations as a walk up!

Please get some cars rented on all islands...try here, http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Good luck, this looks like an adventure!

8. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 17:16
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

judy, just a tip about hyperlinks on this forum:

"I recommend hawaiioceanic.com as it is locally owned and operated with professional captain and crew."

You can make hawaiioceanic.com a hyperlink (one you can click on rather then having to copy & paste).

These will work:

http://hawaiioceanic.com/

www.hawaiioceanic.com

On this forum, a hyperlink will only work if there is a space before and after the link (which you did, but without a complete URL). Or just use a separate line like the examples above.

I recommend hawaiioceanic.com as (won't work)

I recommend www.hawaiioceanic.com as (will work)

I recommend http://www.hawaiioceanic.com/ as (will work)

Kona
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Hawaii for 4 weeks and leaving next week, need help

Dusty, "judydeco" is apparently associated with hawaiioceanic.com, as 5 of "her" 6 posts are touts for that company.

And swimming with wild dolphins is illegal in Hawaii.