We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my first few days in hawaii

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
my first few days in hawaii

We have been in Hawaii for 4 days now and am loving it. We had a 9+ flight so arrived very tired. My daughter was able to check into her room but we had to wait until it got cleaned which was fair enough. Just left everything in their room. I do have to say a lot of people thought we were mad checking into Waikiki circle but I have nothing but good reports love it. I asked someone where a nice place for tea that night and they thought I meant a cup of tea so I had to remember to say dinner lol. We had lunch nearby at what we thought was a bit high $33 head total bill came to 136 and then they wanted $63 tip. We thought we had a bit of an idea on tipping about 15% to 20% so we ended up leaving $30. We took walk over to the beach and being a sundaywas packed.

Next day was having a look around so relaxing and peaceful. Early night as we were off to volcano on big island . So excited as it was also our anniversary. Up at 330 to catch 6 o'clock plane. Arrived to pouring rain. I thought it wasn't looking good for our volcano trip and was right. Our 830 was cancel led but they were good and said we could book at 130. So hired as car and took a look around. Went to do a bit of a hike to see one of the waterfalls and to see a beach park. Had lunch at a small but busy place called cafe100 I think. Really nice good. Went back to airport and they called us in and getting excited again. Alas got cancelled again. They offered another day but couldnt do it. But thanks paradise helicopters. Ever though we had an enjoyable morning still very disappointed. Flew back to Honolulu to find by visa not working. After some hectic phonecalls back to Australia was fixed next day.

Had a great walk along beach and just relaxed this day. Went down to have a look at hhv. Such a big place.

Thursday we hired a car and went up to north shore where daughters boyfriend was in his element. Back to hotel and down to international markets for dinner and a look. Ended up walking a different route was very busy. Back to hotel and bed.good day tomorrow planned.

This not very exciting but it is my first trip report. Until my next one.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my first few days in hawaii

Glad you are having a good time...Not sure who wanted a $63 tip but something was wrong there!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my first few days in hawaii

Yeah, that Tip incident is rather suspect.....that would be a 50% tip??

Where were you Dining? I know of some establishments that will add say a 18% tip to bills of groups of 6/8 or more.....but nothing as high as you quote....

Disappointing about your Big Island plans. Weather can play a huge part when you only have a narrow window for the activity.........perhaps you will schedule a longer stay on the Big Island on a future trip in order to truly see what the Island can offer.

3. Re: my first few days in hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16