We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

Hawaii is the last location of our honeymoon - we will have spent 5 weeks in the US already and I really want to end our last 5 days on a high note. Originally we were staying in Oahu but have been talked out of it as its quite touristy and busy. So we are now deciding between Maui or Big Island.

I am so overwhelmed and cannot decide. My biggest thing is really nice accommodation that isn't too outdated and I am struggling with the reviews on TA to come to a decision. Our budget is around $600/night.

What we are looking to do is some activities like checking out volcanoes which I know both islands offer, snorkelling and enjoy the lushness of Hawaii. We are travelling early January so I know the weather can be a little unpredictable.

Any thoughts from people who have recently travelled to Maui or Big Island or both and recommendations on hotels for honeymooners and in general best island to finish off our trip?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

You can't go wrong with either island, and with a $600/night budget, you can stay in a really nice hotel. If you want to see an active volcano, the Big Island is your only choice. Unfortunately, the best hotels are a long drive from the current eruptions. You'll spend a good deal of time in the car to explore the Big Island. If I was going on a second honeymoon, I'd look at the resorts in Wailea, Maui. It's away from the crowds in West Maui, has excellent beaches, restaurants, and several highly rated resorts.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

Always count your nights, not your days. You'll have 4 nights?

I was really surprised by your comments about Oahu. It is WILDLY popular with Aussies. Just scroll down and take a look. Honolulu is a medium-sized city of about 400,000 people. Don't confuse developed areas with "tourist traps." They are not the same. All of the major Islands have developed areas, areas with traffic, etc. Honolulu is the largest developed area in Hawaii by far - BUT most of Oahu is rural. Take a look at Turtle Bay.

Understand that you will need a car on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu.

I would go to Maui, personally - as it is a little easier than the Big Island for such a short trip. Ka'anapali or Wailea. Book NOW. January is very popular, as it is our winter - and you will want to reserve your car ASAP as well.

The only active volcano is on the Big Island - and you don't have enough time for the Big Island. On Maui, there is a massive (massive!) dormant volcano, and you can drive up to the crater. Also understand that you will lose precious time flying between the Islands ... and that you will need to fly home from Oahu anyway.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

I believe most flights from Hawaii to Australia depart early morning. You'd need to be in Honolulu the night before you fly home. You have very little time to be flitting between islands. (Although air time is brief, the whole airport thing is as tedious as anywhere else; each 'hop' can eat half a day.) I would stay Waikiki, tourists and all, and rent a car for at least one day to tour Oahu's east and north shores. Most Aussie ladies post here about wanting to *shop* in Honolulu, but perhaps you will be all 'shopped out' after a month on the mainland. If you very much want to see Volcanoes National Park on Big Island, there are day trips there. It will probably be rainy in January -- same over the northern portions of Kauai, Oahu and Maui.

4. Re: Honeymoon - looking for relaxtion and activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18