We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Perth
7 posts
Save Topic
Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Hiya,

I have been to Honolulu before, as a teenager and explored plenty and had a ball, however...

I am returning in the new year, with my husband (late honeymoon) very briefly - arrive in the late afternoon and fly out mid morning next day and am looking for some inspiration in terms of where to venture for some dinner and a couple of drinks?

When we travel we generally opt for wandering around and seeing what happens, but given we are short on time, I'd greatly appreciate some advice about where to head for some quality ambience so I ensure my hubby experiences the ultimate bang for his buck in terms of his first ever Honolulu experience!

Just to give you a hand, we tend to steer clear of tragically touristy venues...love an authentic feel!

Thanks so much in advance, look forward to your pearls of wisdom! :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

I don't know exactly what you mean by tragically touristy. I would suggest staying in Waikiki over night. This is where you will find the bulk of the accommodations. It is "touristy" but also full of authenticity. This is where you will get the "bang for your buck". Which hotel to stay in will be determined by your budget.

LA
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Your other post mentions Boston, so I am assuming you are not traveling to or from other Hawaiian islands. Is this correct?

If so, I'd head to Waikiki beach and stay in a beachfront hotel. As built up as it is, it is truly a lovely beach and is full of activity, with beautiful sunsets.

If you got room in one of the higher floors of the Hyatt or other tall hotel, you get pretty stunning panoramic views of the waterfront and the channel.

Perth
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Oh I was by no means meaning to be insulting about the 'tragically touristy' comment...

I meant as in we're not the sort of tourists that rely on the specific recommendations of tourist brochures, I was trying to communicate that we're pretty open to things and I don't doubt and in fact I KNOW the 'touristy' things are equally as enriching. However, just looking for something different is all. Stuff general web advice doesn't provide...

I've been there before, so just hoping for some specific advice from travellers who've been recently, not 6 years ago like me!

Honestly, no offense intended! Was going for clueless-charming not insulting! Not trying to cause trouble! :-/

Perth
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Thanks so much! I was probably not specific enough...travelling on to Maui and have everything set there, just wanted to have a plan as such for the short Honolulu stay...to WOW the hubby...I'm a planner! Hehe, fatal flaw!

We're a bit out of the main strip, purely for affordability given it's one night, but we're happy to walk to wherever or cab it to find something to do that evening in the area!

Cheers! :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

I didn't take offense at all!! Please let us know where you are staying so we can help you.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

Where are you staying? I would have dinner and drinks on Waikiki ... browse and gawk and enjoy the beauty.

Take a look at House Without a Key at Halekulani for dinner. They have drinks, music, hula ... and great food. Then (if you have any energy left) walk down to the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surfrider for drinks and more music.

Do you have a good map of Waikiki?

7. Re: Short layover in Honolulu - where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:18