We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Hi .. me and my partner are looking at a travelling holiday to SF and LV and then want to end our vacation at one of the beautiful islands of Hawaii ? but were stuck on were to go ? we want to be able to relax maybe do some diving and turtle spotting but also something to do at night ?? luxury is what we would like. please help us find our perfect destination ...

Thankyou

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Zoe - we could toss out SO many ideas to you that your head would spin ... and it would not help you at all. It's time for some research on your part.

First - how many nights do you plan to be in Hawaii? With 10 more, you may want to visit two Islands.

What month do you plan to visit?

Will you rent a car? You'll need one on any of the major Islands with the exception of the City of Honolulu on the Island of Oahu. Hawaii is not the type of destination where visitors arrive and just plop at the resort for the full stay.

Do you have a good travel guidebook? Many of us highly recommend "Hawaii for Dummies," as it will give you a good overview of all the Islands. You need a good map, too. Very important. Pull up www.gohawaii.com. It terribly commercial, but helpful for first-timers.

So please, take some time to familiarize yourself with your options - see what attracts you. You'll be surprised at the diversity!

One more thing: Realize that Hawaii is a 5.5 hour flight from San Francisco. Also - you should visit San Francisco on the way to Hawaii ... and then visit Las Vegas on the way back home.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

we are thinking to stay for 5nights ? and the main destinations that have caught our eyes are Honolulu and ouhu ?? we would prefer not to be driving also? if that helps? also was wanting to do this last as would then unwind from the hectic days from Las vegas and SF ? would you not recommend that ?

thankyou

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Honolulu is a large metropolitan city on the island of Oahu. Home to all major commerce and state capitol. Once outside of the city, you will find most of the island rural. Good choice!! Oahu does have good public transportation but it's worth it to rent a car. If you can't rent for your entire stay, rent for at least a couple of days.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Not sure I'd come all the way from the UK and spend only five nights Hawaii. BLBL's point is that you could stop over to break your long trip both coming to Hawaii and returning home. Some of the connection decision rides on the time of year you plan to visit the US.

I'd want at least a week Hawaii. If you don't want to drive, that limits you to only Honolulu on Oahu or the NCL cruise that visits Kauai, Maui and Big Island of Hawaii with tours arranged by the ship. That departs Honolulu every Saturday afternoon. Be aware that almost every visitor to the islands DOES rent a car and has no difficulty driving 'wrong side' of the road.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

we would be travelling early may ? as best times for the other destinations that we have chosen , why do most people drive ? is there not much to do at the hotels ? or is there just a lot too see ? as we are just looking to relax at a luxury hotel.

thankyou

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Why do most people drive? There's a lot to see and not much public transport (except in Honolulu). Hawai`i isn't a place where you're forced to stay in a compound for safety; most people go out and about. Not that you couldn't just relax at a hotel, but to me, that's kind of missing the point of visiting here.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Zoe - as Sue said ... you can break up your trip back to the UK with a stop in Las Vegas. That's a good thing. See San Francisco - then Hawaii - the Las Vegas ... then home.

People drive because the have the freedom and safety to do what they please and see what they want. Be spontaneous. Make their own plans.

Without a car, Honolulu is your only real option. There are some who go to the other Islands and plant themselves at resorts ... and you can do that too. It's just not the best way to see Hawaii ... and we want the best for you!

If you want to just plop at a hotel ... why go all the way to Hawaii? Stay in Las Vegas ... or Palm Springs ... Napa. Although Hawaii has some wonderful resorts ... resorts are not the attraction. The Islands themselves are the attraction.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

I see ... thankyou ! would you recommend the cruise around the islands ? or to stay at a hotel and travel around ?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

If you take the cruise around the Island you will be wasting alot of time on the ship. And a mediocre ship at that. You will also be subject to the ship's schedule ... and paying for excursions. This hit-and-run approach to seeing Hawaii is sad ... as you won't experience the Islands on your own "Hawaiian time."

So choose an Island a rent a car ... or stay in Honolulu and use public transportation and tours.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help? stuck on were to stay in hawaii

Zoe, I think you may have missed the point. Your options are the cruise, or stay at a hotel and see ONE island. Interisland travel takes up more time than you might imagine. The cruise gets very mixed reviews. Understand, it's not a luxury cruise, and it's a hit-and-run way to see the islands. Personally, I'd stay on one island.