We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing - which island

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing - which island

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Hawaii in June/July. My husband surfs, but has only taken it up in the last 6-7 years so likes what we call 'old man surf'! At present we are looking at 5-6 days (each) on Kauai and Oahu. Would there be particular places on each island that we should be looking to stay at so that we can be near some good surf beaches? Thanks for your advice.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing - which island

That is easy for Oahu, Waikiki. The birthplace of surfing.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,299 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing - which island

Well, coming to Kauai during the summer months, I would always recommend staying on the amazing north shore, but the surf will be flat like a pancake in July on the north shore, so you would want to be in the Poipu area for any surfing.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing - which island

Po`ipu area on Kaua`i.

4. Re: Surfing - which island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17