We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Hawaii

Montreal
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Hawaii

Hawaii has always been on my list of places to visit - we may have the opportunity soon. The question has now arisen: is it worthwhile to travel that distance? as opposed to go to the Caribbean ? Is it just a beach vacation or what else can one do there? Which Islands should are a must?

any info. would be much appreciated.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,354 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Hawaii

We used to visit the Caribbean over our DS's winter breaks. It's much closer. It's warm and pretty, but it's nothing like the *State* of Hawaii. Now we fly much farther, at greater expense, to come to warm, pretty and prosperous Hawaii.

Read the right margin on this page for an overview of the different islands. Come back and ask about islands that interest you. Tell us when you'd visit; how long you'd stay; whether you want a hotel or a condo; who is coming (ages, interests); your lodging budget.

LA
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Hawaii

They are very different experiences.

One of the major difference is that Hawaii has only one all-inclusive and it is expensive and remote. There is no need for AI vacations in Hawaii, unlike the Caribbean, so you have much more freedom to explore by yourself.

It would be helpful to know how many nights you would have for this trip?

Would you be renting a car?

What kind of activities do you like to do?

What do you not want to do?

Edited: 02 February 2014, 20:24
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Hawaii

Lots, lots lots to do in Hawai`i, and no worries about safety, sanitation or health care. Do read the Summary of Each Island found under Top Questions on this page. A good overall guide book is "Hawai`i for Dummies." We do need more details from you to make more specific recommendations.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Hawaii

Well, "the Caribbean" is much too general

IMO to really compare. I mean you have the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the French West Indies.....something like 30 territories comprise the region, with wildly different cultures, languages and experiences. Some islands are flat and non-volcanic, others are mountainous. Sure there are All Inclusive experiences, there are also quiet infrequently traveled islands like Cuba, Culebra, and Guadeloupe. Roatan and Utila off of Honduras have some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world. The Caribbean is much more diverse geographically and culturally. When this topic comes up a lot of people start talking about All Inclusives and concerns about safety like the Caribbean is just Jamaica, but that's just not so. I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean, never stayed in an AI, or even seen one, and have never had issues with safety or sanitation or any of the rest of it. They have been some of my best travel experiences.

Hawaii is certainly much more than a beach vacation, and it's a fantastic place to visit, but so are many places in the Caribbean. What I would do is do some research on what places interest you in the Caribbean and also as suggested read through the Hawaii forums and Top Questions. Then you can begin to narrow your focus and get a handle between the prices and pros and cons, but just "Hawaii" versus "the Caribbean" really isn't possible to meaningfully compare.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 20:52
5. Re: First visit to Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:17